Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Hybrid just arrived - in time for road trip!

786s13

Hi Warren

Sounds good.

Where are you off to?

Post some pictures when you get chance.

Peter

Time then to update your profiles - from Toyota to Honda and from Prius to Rav4. 

Sorry. Profile updated.

We are off to Yorkshire (so no small trip for a first outing).

Should be interesting as our previous car (Sportage 2lt Diesel) pulled like a tank.

Progress report is it is a great car. Reviewers have a big bug in their ear about CVT boxes and the noise.

My retort would be, who drives with the foot flat down the whole time, mine revs for about 5 seconds as I join a motorway and the rest is quiet serenity.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from our first towing outing with the CR-V down to Broadway (Cotswolds) from South Yorkshire. Motorway, dual carriageway and single carriageway. Used cruise on the M1 and M42 and foot the rest of the time. Achieved 32.8mpg going down. The return was foot control all the way and got 34.8mpg. Really pleased. Towed very well indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it towed just fine but not the best economy of 24mpg. Pulled really well although the engine revved high at times it was comfortable and stable. Happy with that as it will only occasionally be towing.

You'll get the mpg back when solo.

The main thing is it was stable and you felt comfortable. Like us you don't seem to be the every week tower. Did you manage the noseweight ok?

Post some pictures when you get chance.

Peter

Noseweight was fine after a little juggling. Tow was rock solid probably helped by the weight of the car. Pictures soon. Mpg averaging back over 45 mpg now solo. Did have to fill on the way due to small fuel tank.

Thanks for the info about towing, i dont think i'll ever tow but its good to know how these cars compare :biggrin:

Well ive had the car for 4 months now and done around 3500 miles which is quite a lot for the 2nd car in the family. We always end up taking this car on long trips instead of the Land Cruiser...humm :happy:

Anyway the only complaint or issues i have with this car is what most of the reviews say. High revs and noise when you step on the gas more than 40%. The engine noise jumps up when you're overtaking or going up a hill and overtaking. As WarrenB said it is only for a few seconds but the car is normally so nice and quiet then suddenly you get a lot of engine noise, it just gives an unrefined feeling. I've had my Mrs give me funny looks thinking why you revving the car so much "its just because where going up a hill and im trying to overtake this car honey"... This happens alot if you have the radar cruise control on. As soon as the car in front moves out of the way the car tries to quickly get back up to speed. It jumps up the rev band until it gets to the speed you have set and then its all quite again. I've stopped using cruise control now and only use it in motorway road works traffic. For the first 1000 miles we took everything slowly and never went over 70mph and its was very nice and quiet all the time. Now that ive been pushing it more you do notice the noise more. 

Other than that ive loved driving the car. Its so smooth and quiet and comfy around town and on the motorway. The ride on the bigger 18" alloys is fine and you do get the feeling of gliding along. Visibility is good through all the windows. Wind and road noise its very low. Heated seats are nice and strong and quickly heat up.

The LED highlight and auto high beam assist is awesome and work really well. The headlights are really powerful and light up the entire road when driving down back country roads.

The sport button is quite good as well and tightens up the steering wheel and you can start to throw the car around a few bends (without kids!) and have a little fun. Of course its a big car and you hear a lot of tyre squeal and understeer but not as bad body roll as i thought it would have. You have enough of a feeling to keep you entertained and happy.

Top speed (on German autobahn) is higher than what Toyota state. Ive got it up to 120mph (speedo shown) and it just stays there. Theres more power in the engine but Toyota have limited it. The revs drop back into the middle of the power band once you get to 120 mph and the car can hold that speed very easily with little noise. Ive toggled between sport, normal and eco mode but nothing helps increase the top speed even though the car has more power to give.   

Ive managed to get a low 22.5mpg average over a tank (German autobahn, top speed whenever i could and not worrying about the noise and high revs). Around 40mpg on German autobahn at 80-90mph, smooth driving with little hard acceleration. 

Around 55mpg around town and local city driving. 

Sorry this reply has become longer than I was going to write but I hope it has helped or informed anyone else out there thinking about buying the hybrid Rav.

Overall car is awesome for city driving, great on motorways if you take it easy and stick near speed limits. Comfy seats and comfy family car for kids with loads of storage and luggage space.

• Like 1

Hi Jav

Interesting reading and not too long at all. You've expressed your views very well indeed.

It is a great car which has been hammered by some reviewers.

It suits you and that is what it is about.

Take care.

Peter

• 1 month later...

Well just come back from my second lot of towing.

26mpg this time, as didn't use cruise control and also didn't have car in Eco Mode.

It turns out that ECO mode was the cause for all the high revving on the first tow, as the accelerator response is slower it needs more revs to overtake and go up hills when towing.

Turned it off and all was serenity. Again rock solid on the road with not a jot of movement.

Left really early Sunday morning and didn't wake a person as can tow on electric up to 25mph which got a few strange looks from the early birds on site.

Solo averaging around 50mpg now so all is good.

Pleased it has improved for you. It's all about finding out about the car. What works for you. They are ever so quiet when on Battery ....... very eerie as they drive along.

Yes, we turn off econ mode and also turn off auto stop/start. Drastic reduction in power when in econ mode but that's what it is designed for, less power, more economy.

At present, we are getting overall average since getting car, 42mpg. On runs it is around 50ish mpg, around town 37ish mpg, towing around 34mpg. Pleased so far as diesel economy improves with mileage.

As an aside, had been on Toyota blog and commented on a post about our poor service from dealer which resulted in us buying the Honda. Toyota very quick to respond (personal contact over phone) and not too happy with dealer. Very good customer service.

Doubt whether we will be towing again this year due to other committments. Probably be next May/June now as going cruising in late April.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links