Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wind Noise

Rhianb

I have bought a new Yaris a few weeks ago and it mostly is great apart from a very annoying wind noise when I go over 40mph. 

I have seen a few posts about this but its on older models so wondering if anyone has experienced this in the new cars and if anyone has any idea how I can stop it as its driving me mad!

I want to avoid going back to where I bought it from as I wasnt overly happy with the service there

Thank you :). 

• Like 1

I don't find wind noise a problem, but road noise on my '14 reg can sometimes be intrusive (depending on road surface).

2 hours ago, Rhianb said:

I want to avoid going back to where I bought it from as I wasnt overly happy with the service there

Take it into another Toyota dealer - it doesn't have to go back to the dealer that sold it.

As bathtub tom said road noise is very obtrusive when on motorways but I guess I'm comparing it to my Lexus. The tyre noise drowns out any wind noise on my Yaris.

Wind noise on mine is well above the level I experienced on my previous Auris.  Particularly bad  when their is a gale blowing.Sounds like your in Bleak House. I suppose I will get used to it. If you take it back whats the betting you get the sad looks, they all do that, nothing wrong.

Tyre noise is also excessive, some surfaces drown out the Radio. Apart from that a fine car.

• 5 months later...

I bought a new Yaris in September and all was well. But now I'm getting a wind noise from somewhere at the back when I get to 40mph. I can't see anything wrong with the seals around the back doors or the hatch and the back windows are shut tight. I only noticed the noise today and by coincidence I carried three bags of manure in the boot, about a mile yesterday. I hope I can cure this as it's irritating. Any one else had this problem ?

On 01/06/2016 at 8:37 PM, Rhianb said:

I have bought a new Yaris a few weeks ago and it mostly is great apart from a very annoying wind noise when I go over 40mph. 

I have seen a few posts about this but its on older models so wondering if anyone has experienced this in the new cars and if anyone has any idea how I can stop it as its driving me mad!

Thank you :). 

5 hours ago, Jonmartin said:

I bought a new Yaris in September and all was well. But now I'm getting a wind noise from somewhere at the back when I get to 40mph. I can't see anything wrong with the seals around the back doors or the hatch and the back windows are shut tight. I only noticed the noise today and by coincidence I carried three bags of manure in the boot, about a mile yesterday. I hope I can cure this as it's irritating. Any one else had this problem ?

Check it's not coming from your radio antenna. Dunno if yours is adjustable, but I made the mistake of pointing mine directly vertical in the Aygo, and the whistle it made was ghastly.

• 1 month later...

Bought ours new about 3 weeks ago and the whistle starts at c.40 mph.  It's not normal wind noise which is audible separately and easily ignored.  The whistle is the sort of note that is irritating and if you are listening to music gets in amongst it!

They had it back to replace seal but that made no difference, so it's going back again.  It's our 3rd Yaris and the previous two were whistle-free. 

I have had five Yaris but the newest which is a May 2016 Hybrid does suffer with this strange wind noise problem. Having spotted other comments on here about it I haven't bothered to mention it to the dealer because I can iamgine what the response will be - I would guess it may be a design issue.

I'm fairly sure that the 'wind noise' is coming from the back hatch. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all. So my next step is the apply tape over the slots between the back hatch and body and see if it works. At least then I'll know if I'm right.

I purchased my Yaris in July and have same wind noise on passenger side.  I have been told its a design fault but if it is why do I not get it on drivers side.  I was told its the positioning of the mirror.  Any help on this would be appreciated 

My '14 reg Yaris has a vertical 'bar' on the drivers side, adjacent to the mirror. I notice water is directed up the side window at speed and the wiper finishes its stroke in a vertical position on this side. I wonder if this 'bar' is a clever aerodynamic design to help keep the drivers side window clear of water and could change any wind noise?

The 'bar' is omitted from the passenger side, but the wiper also finishes its stroke in a horizontal position on this side.

Anyone care to enlighten us on the situation on LHD Yaris?

See Devon Aygo's post of 30th June 2015 in the following thread - 

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/11/2016 at 5:20 PM, Jonmartin said:

im getting noise at the back at 50mph i thought it was the cast iron drum brake type of noise but i suppose it could be wind except as soon as you brake and it goes below 40 the noise goes away instantly  but the noise is there with the brakes on just goes away when the car is below 40 and it is instant so it could be wind

On 14/11/2016 at 5:20 PM, Jonmartin said:

On 09/01/2017 at 10:51 PM, bathtub tom said:

My '14 reg Yaris has a vertical 'bar' on the drivers side, adjacent to the mirror. I notice water is directed up the side window at speed and the wiper finishes its stroke in a vertical position on this side. I wonder if this 'bar' is a clever aerodynamic design to help keep the drivers side window clear of water and could change any wind noise?

The 'bar' is omitted from the passenger side, but the wiper also finishes its stroke in a horizontal position on this side.

Anyone care to enlighten us on the situation on LHD Yaris?

i have noticed the bar but the noise is comming from the back left wheel arch area i think but def not the front also the noise isnt present on my trip to my destination but is there when i arrive and on my way back so very strange, if it is wind at least it isnt a failing component or something like brake hub rubbing, i am going to check my tire pressures next as they look low since i got the car

• 3 weeks later...

anyone have an update on this problem?

i pumped up my tyres and it didnt make a difference and now the noise is starting as soon as i go over 40mph and it used to need to do 5-10 mins or a couple of miles before showing up so it is changing, the car is at 700 miles now

i still think it is the rear drum brakes even though the noise stays when they are pressed. maybe a shoe or spring slightly out of alignment or something like that

Hi I have the same problem Toyota head office have been trying to help but when I took it  to the Toyota garage it was a lovely day no wind so we agreed i would take it in when its a windy day.  You would think with so many people mentioning  it Toyota Technical would be able to identify where the noise is coming from. 

I am not complaining because my local Toyota garage have really tried to help but I would like to get it sorted once and for all. 

29 minutes ago, Dustyday said:

You would think with so many people mentioning  it Toyota Technical would be able to identify where the noise is coming from. 

We don't know that there are 'so many people complaining, Yes, there are a few on these forums, but we don't know how that relates to the UK as a whole - where the Yaris is the best selling Toyota.

just a thought, do all the new yaris with this problem have drum brakes on the back or do some have discs?

it really sounds like the tyre is sending road noise through the alloy into the cast iron drum and that is the noise

Reply to FROSTY BALLS

Exactly we do not know how many Yaris cars have the wind noise problem.   I was not having a go at Toyota the Head office and my local dealer have been up front with me and said although they are aware that some yaris have this wind noise problem they also do not know the cause, if they did it would be a easy solution.  However when you have just purchased a new car and spent a lot of money you  expect  the problem would be solved.  There are several ideas of what it could be but until you are actually in the car with the wind noise I really do not think you can comment.  I trust Toyota to sort the problem however if no one ask the question it will never be solved.

driving home tonight in the wet and the whistling is worse than ever i am convinced that it is the rear drum brakes as the most noise is comming from my back left and when i jacked the car up that wheel was binding lots more than the right wheel

i can hear it on the motorway with the window down bouncing off the concrete barriers of the road works so i dont think it is wind noise

i hope to adust the rear drum left wheel on sunday if the rain holds off and hope to find a solution from this problem but the noise of the shoes rubbing the drum is more of a sh sh sh noise not a whistle but who knows as it only comes in at 40mph plus, but it is too much of a coincidence that the area of the noise is the wheel that is rubbing more than the quiet side

have all the people with this problem got rear drum brakes or have some got rear discs?

On 17/02/2017 at 9:58 AM, Dustyday said:

Reply to FROSTY BALLS

Exactly we do not know how many Yaris cars have the wind noise problem.   I was not having a go at Toyota the Head office and my local dealer have been up front with me and said although they are aware that some yaris have this wind noise problem they also do not know the cause, if they did it would be a easy solution.  However when you have just purchased a new car and spent a lot of money you  expect  the problem would be solved.  There are several ideas of what it could be but until you are actually in the car with the wind noise I really do not think you can comment.  I trust Toyota to sort the problem however if no one ask the question it will never be solved.

One of the points about participating on a forum is that one is free to express one's opinion provided it doesn't contravene the terms and conditions of the Club.

One also shouldn't expect to be able to censor another's opinion, or say that another member should not be commenting, just because their opinion may not fit with yours.

I have purchased a total of 19 new vehicles from a variety of market sectors, appreciate how much new vehicles cost, and don't need to be informed of this by someone else.

If you prefer other members not to comment, perhaps this Club isn't the forum you should be using.

My post stands. 

8 hours ago, monkeydave said:

driving home tonight in the wet and the whistling is worse than ever i am convinced that it is the rear drum brakes as the most noise is comming from my back left and when i jacked the car up that wheel was binding lots more than the right wheel

i can hear it on the motorway with the window down bouncing off the concrete barriers of the road works so i dont think it is wind noise

i hope to adust the rear drum left wheel on sunday if the rain holds off and hope to find a solution from this problem but the noise of the shoes rubbing the drum is more of a sh sh sh noise not a whistle but who knows as it only comes in at 40mph plus, but it is too much of a coincidence that the area of the noise is the wheel that is rubbing more than the quiet side

have all the people with this problem got rear drum brakes or have some got rear discs?

Thanks Monkey Dave when I speak to the garage this week I will show them you comment they are really baffled as well but are trying to help.  This is my 4th Toyota and never had any problem wth the others.  Thanks for your help I am sure we will get it sorted if everyone who has a problem with this puts on the site what they have tried.  Once again thanks let me know how you get on?  

right i have just adjusted my rear left drum brake, it started on 3 clicks of hand brake and i took it to 5 on the star wheel and now it is self adjusting itself back to 4 click and staying there.

the noise is vastly improved now about 70% better but the noise that is remaining seems to be wind only now and maybe a bit of tyre noise that changes over different surfaces, the other three tyres do that noise too. as long as it isnt anything mechanical i am happy.

i dont think i can get it any better than this and i did not see any evidence of metal to metal rubbing on the drum or back plate and also the wheel bearing is ok (which it should on a new car).

i think i will see how it goes now as i dont think the dealer will do any better or do anything else than i have done.

the noise is vastly improved and seems to be getting better the more i drive the car (apart from in strong headwind).

if you want to do it yourself you will need a bolt to screw the drum off (8mm i think) and two screwdrivers one to hold the adjust keeper (which is thin metal at the back of the star wheel) and one to push the auto tensioner star wheel around, it is down for slacker and up for tighter.

hope this helps.