Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wind Noise

Rhianb

well i done some more mileage and the noise is back to nearly the same starting at 40mph so we can say it isnt the brakes as the self adjuster is back to where it was origionally on the 3 clicks of handbrake, so it has to be wind or tyres now

my drums are hotter than usual on both sides too

there is a lot of plastic trim under the car that could cause wind noise but none seems to be loose even the deflectors on each side under the passenger door are screwed in firmly

Hi David I took my Yaris back in this week when it was a windy day the mechanic came out with me and sat in the passenger seat and between us we worked out the wind noise is defiantly on passenger side and in the far corner where the grill starts he thinks it a design problem because the old yaris do not have a full grill on the front.  We tried another yaris same year and that does the same but not so loud as mine. So still no conclusion other than a design problem with the Yaris which I really do not think they can sort out.  Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

you think it is the front ?    mine is passenger side rear in the corner at the back on the left sounded like a brake or hub at 40 mph

in that storm last thursday i was only doing 20mph and the wind really sounded the same as going 50mph at the back left corner, i have had wind noise at the front but only once

if they all do it there is nothing we can do then and if the other yaris is not as loud it will probably become louder over time

Yes I think your right. When i lift the bonnet up there's a bit of rubber, the left side was defiantly not fitted as tight as the right but the mechanic dismissed that, he did not think it was that but i am not so sure.  The trouble is once you hear the noise you listen for it. 

mine is 100% from rear left wheel area and not the front but as i have done the drum brake there can only be wind or tyre noise left

I think there must be several things going on because I have just been out in mine and the wind is up and I am only doing about 29mph and it is whistling like mad.  Surely we cannot be the only few on here with a wind problem.   

• 1 month later...

I noticed the same whistling wind noise from the rear from new (Orange Edition Hybrid). Over a couple of weeks I figured out it has certain 'characteristics'. 

Only happens on windy days. 

Only begins at around 45mph

Goes away at around 60mph

It doesn't happen when it is raining 

It ceases if driving into wind or downwind and returns if driving crosswind 

I spoke to the dealer who said it was something they were aware of & that the rear spoiler was the culprit. The slight gap between the spoiler leading edge & body was under certain conditions causing this. They suggested using a thicker wax polish to 'fill' the gap. 

Given the lack of the noise when it is raining that could well be the case as the water would 'fill' the gap. It certainly seems to be related to the aerodynamics of the spoiler under crosswind conditions. 

To be honest it's really a bit of a non issue as the sound is not too intrusive & occasional. Just a quirky characteristic I guess. 

4 hours ago, Parascience said:

I noticed the same whistling wind noise from the rear from new (Orange Edition Hybrid). Over a couple of weeks I figured out it has certain 'characteristics'. 

Only happens on windy days. 

Only begins at around 45mph

Goes away at around 60mph

It doesn't happen when it is raining 

It ceases if driving into wind or downwind and returns if driving crosswind 

I spoke to the dealer who said it was something they were aware of & that the rear spoiler was the culprit. The slight gap between the spoiler leading edge & body was under certain conditions causing this. They suggested using a thicker wax polish to 'fill' the gap. 

Given the lack of the noise when it is raining that could well be the case as the water would 'fill' the gap. It certainly seems to be related to the aerodynamics of the spoiler under crosswind conditions. 

To be honest it's really a bit of a non issue as the sound is not too intrusive & occasional. Just a quirky characteristic I guess. 

and your hybrid has disc brakes, mine has drums and i have dunlop tyres on and mine whistle gets louder in the wet and starts about 40 all the way up to 70, it does change over different motorway surfaces and sometimes nearly disappears on smooth sections of motorway, the toyota dealer cleaned the brakes out and it was slightly quieter for a day but now back to what it was from day one

i do hope it is these dunlop tyres and when they need replacing with mitchelins the noise will just dissapear as the dealer has had a look so cant be wheel bearing as it is the wrong type of noise and brakes have been checked and cleaned so that just leaves tyres and wind, it sounds more tyres to me though, does my video below sound like anyones elses noise

im thinking the tyres tread is caussing noise to be passed though alloy wheel to brake drum as it does sound like a metallic whistle noise, i do get normal tyre noise from the other three tyres and sometimes a bit of wind noise from the front but that doesnt last very long and always goes away

sorry the you tube video doesnt bring out the noise as well as my origional video i took

cheers guys

The same Dunlops are one of three OE tyres fitted to the hybrid.

Hi I am still having the same problem but mine is at the front left hand side.  Engineer came out and he can hear wind noise they are going to have it in for a couple of days to see if it can be rectifyed.  I even tried draft excluder along a vent at the front but it made no difference.  It now sounds as if the window is open when I drive.  Seriously thinking of trading the car in because it sounds so bad.  My dealership have been very helpful but we cannot work out what is causing the noise.  Any information would be of help? I will ask them to look at others comments to see if that will help them 

well i just switched the two rear wheels over to see if it makes a difference and it is about 50% better, and the noisy tyre on the other side is quiet now (well just normal tyre noise like the others) very strange now everything has been tried to get rid of the noise seeing as the main dealer examined both rear brakes as they put anti sieze paste on both sides and adjusted them too and checked bearings (which would have been a totally different noise)

i can live with the noise now i suppose it will completely go away with a new tyre with different tread pattern on but im not replacing tyres till they need to be replaced

well looks like i spoke too soon, it is just the same as it was on the left rear wheel, brakes checked, tyres swaped over and still the noise, i can hear it faintly at 30 mph and sometimes it is intermittent when driving at 50-60mph, it is really annoying and the dealer said it isnt covered under warranty and it was a "favour" as its a new car to clean the back brakes, it was slightly better for a day when they cleaned them but it didnt last long

im going to see what happens after more miles as im on 2200 at the moment and it has been like this since new

it isnt the tyre (unless it doesnt like the tread of theses tyres) not the wheel bearing (different type of noise) not the brakes (as the noise is still there when braking at speed and pulling hand brake at speed too) so i am stumped

im convinced it is a rear hub bearing faulty from the factory but the the dealer want to charge me if i bring it in again and were more worryed about the score i gave the guy behind the counter, the mechanic checked both rear brakes and i rotated the back tyres and the loud whistle is in the same place, back left so it is the only thing left that can be wrong, there is no movement or rough noise when spinng the wheel though, just a whistle at 40 to 70+

not good service from a main dealer and def not as good as i have experienced from honda in the past

not sure on my next step now as it is a whistle not a traditional hum bearing noise

• 2 weeks later...

Do they have another car same spec as yours to take out for a test? That way they can do a direct comparison. If yours makes a noise, and theirs doesn't, there is little left for them to argue about.

If they won't help - go to another dealer.

Hi my dealer in Northampton have been great they recognise that there is a problem and asked if I could leave the car for 2 days which I did last wednesday and thursday.  They have finally found the fault which I am not quite sure where, apparently it was a clip that was broken.  They asked if they could keep my car until tomorrow when they will recieve the new clip which I agreed to.  They did ask if I would like a courtesy car but I declined because my friend has leant me her car.  Hopefully tomorrow the problem will be solved for ever.  When I pick the car up I will let you know where the problem was.  I am just pleased they have fixed it.  Well done Northampton Toyota

how is your car dusty? and what part did they change to make the noise go away, i think my noise is different than yours (rear hub brake) but someitimes in strong wind it does whistle from the front as well

hope you got you car back fixed, i must say northampton toyota sound better than my dealer

Hi David unfortunately still not fixed.  However the Toyota garage have been so helpful,  They genuinely thought it was the plastic/rubber piece at th bottom of the windscreen but when they fitted the new one the wind noise was still the same they taped  up the side of the windscreen and the noise disappears so they have come to the conclusion that it is the windscreen that has not been fitted correctly.  They are now waiting for permission for the windscreen to be fitted again.  I have the car back for the time being so will let me know when permission has been granted. 

The one good thing is they can hear the wind noise and agree that it is very intrusive.  Hope this helps

sorry to hear that, mine is sonething to do with the left rear drum brake but nothing looks out of place, it is going in again on monday after i emailed toyota head office about them saying they would charge me next time i come in (good warranty hay) they better not just clean the brakes again like last time as i am having to take the day off for this and one day is all they are getting

i would be hesitant about letting them remove and replace the windscreen if they are not 100% sure as it could cause more problems with rust and water leaks that it would fix

I just noticed that you said you swapped LEFT/RIGHT REARs! You can't do this as they have a rotational direction, and so the tyres are running backwards! This will adversely affect grip, and especially in the wet (the tyres won't be able to clear water properly)!!

1 hour ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I just noticed that you said you swapped LEFT/RIGHT REARs! You can't do this as they have a rotational direction, and so the tyres are running backwards! This will adversely affect grip, and especially in the wet (the tyres won't be able to clear water properly)!!

no mine are the dunlops and not one rotational tyres

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkeydave said:

no mine are the dunlops and not one rotational tyres

Ahh OK! Mine are directional; I thought this was the norm these days!

@monkeydave

Perhaps there is a hidden hole or a crack in the exhaust system. Any hole in the exhaust can make annoying sound at certain speeds.

4 hours ago, bulentcandan said:

@monkeydave

Perhaps there is a hidden hole or a crack in the exhaust system. Any hole in the exhaust can make annoying sound at certain speeds.

4 hours ago, bulentcandan said:

its on the other side from the exhaust so i dont think it is that  thanks for your reply though

WI still have wind noise they are 100% sure its coming from left hand corner they fitted new plastic trim then test drove the car only to find it still is a problem.  Its going in next wednesday to refit the windscreen.  The garage has bee really good and are defiantly trying to resolve the problem.  I will keep you posted.

To all those getting a noise please as trial remove your Antenna and try again as Toyota have just released a Technical service bulletin about a wind/whistle type noise from the Antenna only on DAB equipped models.

Bulletin ref: BE-0042T-0417

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON

Some customers may experience and report that a wind / whistling type noise can be heard in the passenger compartment from rear of the vehicle. The noise is most critical at speed 60 – 80 km/h.

PRODUCTION CHANGE

Change DAB antenna to a modified one.