Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking at New or year old yaris hybrid

Notebook

whats the general opinion on them?  I live 3 miles from work and looking for a small car

Hi there,

My mum has  2013 one, only had it a month so far.

On the second tank full now and its going well. City + motorway and country roads are no problem, fits into parking spots with room to spare. 

Boot space isn't bad either considering the size of the car and space in the cabin.

Good for about 400+ miles on 30 -36 Litres, from my experience.

I have an Auris hybrid, old shape, and travel about the same distance to work.

Have you been for a test drive yet?

If you take to the way a hybrid drives, then I'm sure you will like it and won't go back to a normal car again.

Thanks - appreciate your reply

Using a hybrid for very short commutes in cool weather will mean pretty poor fuel consumption as the petrol engine will be running a lot to provide cabin heating.

I do a 7.5 mile commute and the heater is set to 22C, traffic conditions are the same virtually every day as I work shifts, winter gets me 48-49 mpg and summer 55-57 mpg.

Aircon use in the summer makes hardly any difference to mpg

Personally I would look at a full EV like a LEAF or Kia Soul. I will probably be called a troll for posting that in here....Only came back to see what people were saying about the new Prius. 

I ditched my Yaris Hybrid due to poor fuel economy on a 12 mile round trip to work. As has been said above it is not good in the winter due to the engine running to heat the car and was difficult to defrost and heat up on a 6 mile journey. 

I moved to the LEAF 30kWh 2.5 months ago and have done 3000 miles in that time and am delighted with it. 

J

Ex-Yaris Hybrid owner

Personally I would look at a full EV like a LEAF or Kia Soul. I will probably be called a troll for posting that in here....Only came back to see what people were saying about the new Prius. 

I ditched my Yaris Hybrid due to poor fuel economy on a 12 mile round trip to work. As has been said above it is not good in the winter due to the engine running to heat the car and was difficult to defrost and heat up on a 6 mile journey. 

I moved to the LEAF 30kWh 2.5 months ago and have done 3000 miles in that time and am delighted with it. 

J

Ex-Yaris Hybrid owner

I would go full EV, just at the moment they are still too expensive and not yet practical for me ( no drive and no chargers nearby)

Just need a couple more years and I can see it being massive.

So in the mean time I'm sticking to my hybrid

Even in winter the mpg is still better than my old car.

:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 04/06/2016 at 11:53 AM, martswain said:

I do a 7.5 mile commute and the heater is set to 22C, traffic conditions are the same virtually every day as I work shifts, winter gets me 48-49 mpg and summer 55-57 mpg.

Can you think of any other automatic petrol engined car that can achieve these figures? My previous Fiesta 1.4 Auto used to manage 23 to 26 mpg in the above circumstances.

1 minute ago, eyemdee said:

Can you think of any other automatic petrol engined car that can achieve these figures? My previous Fiesta 1.4 Auto used to manage 23 to 26 mpg in the above circumstances.

I would agree with that and probably could not. However for me the Yaris still wasn't anywhere near the advertised 83mpg but I understand all the reasons for that with unrealistic government approved measurement techniques. That irritated me and combined with excessive rear brake wear, down to 9mm when last serviced at 2 years old, and a lack-lustre dealer I decided I wanted a change. It did hold it's value fairly well and I was able to trade in at break even on my PCP after 28 months of 36.

In cost terms I am achieving around 350 mpg with the LEAF or 4.2miles/kWh as it displays it. In 3000 miles I have only spent £42 on electricity thanks to free charging at most sites so i am happy with my choice. I realise it's not right for everyone and the Yaris was an OK car for me doing over 24,000 miles in 2.5 years in relative comfort and reliability. Not knocking it as a car just happy with my EV choice which was actually encouraged by how much I enjoyed the Yaris when it was in EV mode. If only Toyota made a reasonably priced Plug in Hybrid (PHEV) maybe in Auris size with about 30 mile range on EV then that would have been a serious contender for me. The new Plug-in Prius is a while off I think in the UK and the LEAF has some ridiculous discounts at the moment, i got £10k off the list price! The LEAF has it's restrictions and is not right for everyone I appreciate that but works well for me. 

J

If you are only doing 1440 miles a year commuting I seriously doubt that the overall running costs (ie. including initial cost/depreciation) of either a hybrid or EV will be less than a simple petrol job. You may have personal preferences for hybrid/EV but if you are looking at costs you do need to do the maths.

When diesel cars first became common there was a lot of discussion about whether to have one or stick with petrol and the general principle that came out was: less than 15,000 miles a year, stick with petrol; more than 15,000 diesel would repay the extra capital. But no-one seems to be doing that maths for hybrids and EV - just "look at this mpg" (or Watts/mile :smile: )

I'll say it again - do the numbers :bangin:

• Like 1

Sadly we all want the ideal mpg as stated in the brochure. I see it as a goal, maybe it's the sales people who convince the buyers that the cars perform miracles.

My fuel bills are at least 40% cheaper, so I know it's a win for me.

29 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

:laugh: Heck, my 4.6 Automatic almost does that, so that's a pretty low bar to set.

29 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

My fuel bills are at least 40% cheaper, so I know it's a win for me.

But this is exactly what I was talking about further up. People think running a car is just putting petrol in - it isn't. And the mileage per year is crucial to the calculations

eg. If you do 20,000 miles @ 40mpg and £1.10/litre your fuel is £2,500 a year. 40% saved is £1,000 a year, which will quite possibly cover any extra capital, etc, spent to achieve that saving. It might well be worth spending a few thousand extra on the car that does that.

If you do 5,000 a year the fuel is only £625. 40% of that is only £250 a year. If you spent £3,000 extra on the car it would take 12 years to pay back (ignoring any other differences like servicing or Battery replacement).

Depending what actual mileage you're doing (commuting and other use), you may need to compare any extra cost you may incur for purchasing a hybrid or EV compared to petrol, and whether the reduction in fuel costs/lower depreciation balances this out over your intended period of ownership.

One drawback with EV's currently is accessibility to charging points. For example one may be reliant on street parking outside one's residence, and having the charging cable across a pavement isn't ideal for pedestrian safety, and other charging points may not be local. Living in the suburbs of Birmingham, my nearest charge point is two miles away, with the next nearest being 4-5+ miles away. Also depending on the EV, you may be required to build in the lease costs for the Battery pack.

As has been discussed on Toyota Owners Club countless times, expecting to achieve the official mpg figures is naive as these are not intended to be representative of real world economy, and are only intended to provide a standard comparison between models. 

The economy of petrol superminis is improving as new models come out. For example we've just been on holiday to Skye in my wife's 2015 i20 1.4. Actual economy based on brim to brim calculations rather than the trip computer during the holiday, varied between 45-49mpg over the 1800 miles, without trying to drive economically. This included 600+ miles at motorway speeds, and the outwardly/return journeys when the car was fully loaded with two people, rear seats folded and luggage filling the available rear space/boot.

• Like 1

Sounds like you'd be best looking for an early Prius plug in, great for your commute and any long journeys also.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As has been discussed on Toyota Owners Club countless times, expecting to achieve the official mpg figures is naive as these are not intended to be representative of real world economy, and are only intended to provide a standard comparison between models. 

I agree I was naive, I expected to get 75% of the advertised 83 mpg, I didn't. But there again the LEAF range is advertised at 155 and 100-110 is realistic range from experience. As @FROSTYBALLS says 'official mpg figures', still think it is wrong to be able to advertise these highly optimistic figures for MPG or Range. My Jaguar X-Type, previous car to the Yaris, was advertised at 50 mpg on motorway cycle and it did it, round town 40 mpg which is the reason I was disappointed with the Yaris at 51mpg average. Nothing wrong with the Hybrid system just not for me anymore.

J

Hopefully for notebook, more Yaris hybrid owners will respond, just to give him plenty of views to help make up his mind.

The comment re naivety wasn't particularly aimed at any one person - just a statement of fact. Numerous people have expressed disappointment in not being able to match the EU fuel consumption figures, and not just on this forum. Unfortunately it just isn't realistic to be able to match consumption for the majority of recently introduced cars.

Manufacturers legally can only use the official EU consumption figures in advertising, brochures, showrooms, etc. The figures are intended purely to provide a standard testing regime as a basis for comparing models. 

The X-Type is now quite an old car (dating back to 2001) and when that underwent the EU fuel consumption testing, disparities between the test results and real world consumption were smaller.

On 06/06/2016 at 9:51 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The X-Type is now quite an old car (dating back to 2001) and when that underwent the EU fuel consumption testing, disparities between the test results and real world consumption were smaller.

My recollections are that back then the figures quoted were generally optimistic, but only 10-20%ish, so you could see some semblance to your own results. The current test figures all seem to be 40-50-60% away from most people's real world and so are almost useless IMO.