Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MAF Sensor removal

Damek

We have a 04 reg Yaris & noticed the Engine warning light coming on all of a sudden. When using a code reader the codes returned were P0140 & P0141 which is pointing at the oxygen sensors.

Checking into this on the net one of the first suggestions is that the MAF sensor may need cleaning. I took a look and tried to remove this sensor but found that there is a metal plate in the way which prevents full removal of the sensor (see pic below).

I managed to pull out the sensor a little way and could see that it does appear 'grimy' so this might be the cause but does anyone know how to get this sensor out, do I need to remove this plate and what is this plate for anyway? (it seems to hold in place a piece of cable so am concerned about any knock-on effects of messing with this)

Any help with this would be gratefully received!

MAF.png

• Thanks 1

Big welcome to the club first of all,David. Looking at your photo I would say that you would be quite safe to take the plate away from it's mounting as you will have no need to alter the cable adjustment

Del

• Like 1

Forgot to mention in case you a unaware of it the MAF has a very fine filament across it and it is best left untouched and only cleaned by spraying it with something like carb cleaner although some have used cotton buds

• Like 1

Thanks Derek/David for your replies, yes I was planning on using an electrical contact cleaner since it is quite sensitive.

I'll try to remove that plate, I was just worried it would mess the cable up but if it's not going to have an impact I'll remove and access the sensor

• 6 years later...

Damek how did you do ? Did this make a difference to your car ? I have abit of rough idling and hesitant acceleration when putting my foot down. Thanks in advance:) 

16 hours ago, Theviking34972 said:

Damek how did you do ?

The member last visited the Club in 2016, so you're unlikely to receive a reply.

Thanks guys I didn't realise I will start a new post.