Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alarm for Fierries

Bowruss

You know how it is - you get a new Prius and want to know as much as possible about it.  So, step 1 - you sign up here and have a look at other peoples' experiences.  Step 2 - you get the manual from your dealer.

Just got my car manual ( waiting for the Audio and Nav brick) and had a look into locking and alarms.  On my previous cars, there was always a way of locking the car for a ferry trip so that the motion wouldn't set off the alarm.  I can't see this in my new manual but I did notice that you can double lock the doors (P93).

If you double lock, does this automatically set the alarm and hence the motion sensor?  Or does it simply lock up without the alarm which would be ideal for the ferry?

Incidentally. I see you can turn off the intrusion sensor (P.97) but this is not the same thing.

Any thoughts?

Russ

29 minutes ago, Bowruss said:

You know how it is - you get a new Prius and want to know as much as possible about it.  So, step 1 - you sign up here and have a look at other peoples' experiences.  Step 2 - you get the manual from your dealer.

Just got my car manual ( waiting for the Audio and Nav brick) and had a look into locking and alarms.  On my previous cars, there was always a way of locking the car for a ferry trip so that the motion wouldn't set off the alarm.  I can't see this in my new manual but I did notice that you can double lock the doors (P93).

If you double lock, does this automatically set the alarm and hence the motion sensor?  Or does it simply lock up without the alarm which would be ideal for the ferry?

Incidentally. I see you can turn off the intrusion sensor (P.97) but this is not the same thing.

Any thoughts?

Russ

Page 97, cancelling the intrusion sensor. The alarm is ok. The problem is the intrusion sensor that detects movement in the car.

Enjoy!

Edit: Apologies, I've reread your post properly. I'm sure the intrusion sensor senses car movement as well. There is nothing else to be switched off.

The Prius "bricks"  are available for download - see "sticky" thread no.1 above 

Thanks for the replies.  (Going to have to proof read a bit more with all these "fierries" knocking about).  Where is the spell check BTW?

Anyway.  I'm still bit unsure whether the double lock also sets the alarm but I think Ancient Nerd probably has it right as far as the intrusion alarm cancel is concerned.  Any motion sensor will still be on but movement inside the car will not set it off.

I suppose it's all to do with the thieves who try to steal the car by carefully towing it away.  However, if there is a motion sensor alarm on my Prius, I do need to disable it but lock the doors.  Otherwise the ferry motion will set it off.

BUT - what about locking it with the metal key part of the fob??

BTW I saw the download thread but thought I'd get the paper ones from the dealer.  I find them easier to navigate.

Thanks again, Russ

can't really speak for the latest Prius especially if it has a double-locking feature - however, on an Avensis (no double-locking) if you lock the doors with the mechanical key in the driver's door it does not set the alarm.

You may have to be the guinea pig & try it out.

Hi I have the Business Edition Plus and when you switch off  on the top screen in the centre it asks if you want to "Turn off thief sensor" every time hope this helps.

4 hours ago, ian rooke said:

Hi I have the Business Edition Plus and when you switch off  on the top screen in the centre it asks if you want to "Turn off thief sensor" every time hope this helps.

Hello Ian

My 2016 Excel displays this as well.  I always leave it on but maybe if I select "yes", the motion sensor will be disabled?

OR does selecting "yes" mean you have no alarm at all but all the doors are locked?  If so, selecting "yes" - I want to turn it off - will be the answer to my ferry query?

BUT just what is the efect of saying "yes" and thereby turning off this thief sensor??

What do people think?

Baffling isn't it - but the car is truly great!

Russ

SIngle or double locking with the remote or by touching the keyless locking part of the door handle will set the alarm.

Using the (manual) emergency key will not set the alarm, but won't double lock either.

Cancelling the intrusion detection cancels the ultrasonic part of the alarm (mainly for leaving pets in the car).  This will probably reduce the risk of the alarm going off on a ferry, but the manual key method is safest from this point of view.

• Like 1

Does the car alarm actually have a "motion sensor" (tilt switch)? 

Having been the cause of so many false (car) alarms, I didn't think they were used much nowadays. 

Still, there's nothing to prevent you testing it after trying to disable the alarm in various ways (key lock, ultrasonics disabled, whatever) and then trying to create a deliberate false alarm (by 'bouncing' the car - side-to-side rocking is probably easiest) if it really worries you ... !  

Maybe best to begin by trying to trigger a (false) 'motion' alarm before disabling anything, to see whether or not the problem even exists. 

Hello and thanks to all who replied with comments and advice.

I think the solution is NOT to use the fob or say "no" to the thief message.  The best way is to simply use the metal key only.

The only other way is a bit self-defeating - just don't lock the car at all.  After all, the ferries (see that correct spelling?) all say no-one is allowed on to the  car decks  after sailing.  Mind you, they also say lock your car....

I'll be locking with the metal key.

Been a great journey this....!

Russ

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links