Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashboard surface - Prius T3 VVT-1CVT--- XW3(A) (2015)

michaels5762

I have a problem with the dashboard in that nothing but nothing sticks to it. Neither on the curves or the bits of flat sections.

Sticky rubber mats on the curves simply slide or fall off.

3M's adhesives on backs of flat discs stick for an hour or so on a flat surface and then with the a gentle tug they come apart.

Am I doing something wrong?

MIkeS

Are you giving it a really good clean before you try and stick stuff to it?
I find that's the usual reason things don't stick, due to the thin layer of dust or oil or something.
I usually use soapy water and a damp rag then dry it thoroughly before sticking things; Avoid normal cleaning sprays as they often have a repellent coating that repels dust but also makes it hard for adhesives to get a good tack.

I stuck a TomTom adhesive disk to the dash of my last 2012 Prius T3 and it stayed put for the 4 years I had the car.

The instructions did say to press it firmly for a minute or two, and then not use it for 24 hours to make sure it stuck properly.

Use the "AmazonBasics GPS Dashboard Mount" successfully

I find that the Prius dash can harbour lots of dust and even though you clean it before applying your sticky stuff, the sticky will come off after a few days.  A this point apply some brand new sticky stuff immediately.  It will stick a bit longer.  If that falls off, apply some more brand new sticky stuff immediately.  Repeat until the new sticky stuff stays put.

Yeah, dust does seem to get really deep into the plastics for some reason; If cleaning with a damp rag doesn't work I use masking tape to try and dab off the dust off the area I want to stick something to. Tack cloth or leg waxing strips are supposedly quite effective too!

• Like 1

Yes, definitely tack cloth. Might be worth trying some spirit wipe on a less conspicuous area, see if it reacts with the plastic.

Many thanks for the advice.  They're good options for further action.

MikeS

Another option is the TomTom Beanbag mount (about £25).

No need to stick anything to the car, and when removed leaves no visible sign of SatNav use.

See here: http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/accessories/mounts-docks/beanbag-mount/

It's a fairly heavy semicircular pad with a flat area at the front centre for the suction mount.  The underside is very tacky, and grips well on my Gen 4 Prius.

It does come with an adhesive hook (with an alcohol wipe to clean the surface) that's meant to be bonded to the dash and a loop of material on the beanbag hooks over it to stop the beanbag sliding off, but I haven't bothered with that.

So far, it hasn't budged an inch, even with my 6" screen TomTom attached.

[I'm not bothering with the Toyota built in SatNav - The TomTom maps (free quarterly map updates for life and free mobile data network traffic data for life - Europe Wide - including fee connection) are so much more up to date and the traffic data is the best I've ever seen.  I'm so impressed, after a while I selected the option to have the system reroute me without asking.]

If you are interested in the mount and order it from TomTom, signing up to Topcashback and jumping to TomTom's site from theirs will net you 4½% cashback (at the moment).

If you wish to use this, you can join here http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/petemb and get me a bonus! :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

Michael,

I was wondering if you ever solved your problem?

I am having the same problem, and the suggestions I see here don't help.

I still cannot get anything to stick to my Prius dashboad, even the strongest available adhesive from the hardware store.

Hi,

There are 2 kinds of material to try and stick. One is/are the rubber mats with a non slip effect. No adhesive with this lot. They don't work.

2. The adhesive backed discs. My one, no trade brand available,  is currently stuck to the dash and appears to be holding after 3 month or so.

My opinion is that the dashboard material has some kind of silicon base/surface not condusive for 'sticky stuff'.

Sorry can't be of more help.

MIke