Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Big puddle

Aidsy1

So, I have a question to ask everyone. I have lost my drivers side wheel arch liner (not long ago havent got round to replacing it) and this morning on the way to work I happend to drive through a puddle which was deeper than i thought. Now my air filter is relocated to behind the bumper as I have an aftermarket one where there are air vents. Now becuase of this relaction the engine decided to suck up (what seemed like)most of the puddle. Nothing too bad happened other than i lost a lot of power, turbo didnt spool up and massive amounts of white smoke kicked out the back for about half a mile. It runs fine now power is back, turbo seems to spool and no more white smoke. All I'm asking is is there any chance damage was caused if she is still running fine? Is there anything worth checking. And for some of those people out there I am going to relocate my filter until I have sourced a wheel liner.

If the engine is still running fine, plus you drove for a reasonable amount of time, the hot engine should have burnt off an water. If the engine slightly stuttered then recovered, make sure the engine runs smoothly as before. The worst that can be done to the engine is the valves damaged. When you get time pull the pipes to see they are dry, which should be the case.

I have learnt from years back, when cars had points, to be careful when approaching puddles. I am cautious and when I come up to a puddle I slow right down and even stop when not sure. Then I let somebody else go through and see if it safe to proceed. Remember the impatient Zafira in Wallington? It was in the news and he learnt a hard and expensive lesson.

Anyway so long as your car starts fine, then you are fortunate. 

In fairness, driving a Zafira into a flood is the one guaranteed method of stopping the blower motor going up in flames :dry:

• Like 3

i would change your oil as this has happened to me in a diesel a 10 years ago and the water locked my engine

what i did find is that water had managed to get into the oil probably through the pistons trying to compress water

and was forced past the rings into the sump,give your car an engine flush and replace the oil and filter.

standing water can right off and engine so if it starts your lucky ,the AA advised me to do the lottery that week

as luck seemed to be with me.

• Like 1

So I just drove home. And she hydrolocked. Left her for a bit and she strayed again. Massive amounts of white smoke. Managed to nurse her home but now either my boost gauge is screwed, or my turbo. I hope the first cos the second I can't afford.

Hydrolocked was the term I was looking for. Big engine damage is the result, with bent con-rods. Having a turbo makes things worse, as it is sucking harder. 

Mark is correct about changing the oil. You may need to remove the injectors or glow plugs to make sure there is no water in the cylinders. Basically is will have to be strip down of the induction pipes to make sure they are dry.

This is why I try to be careful with puddles. Too much hassle.

Hope you get the car sorted.

I just took air filter and piping up to turbo off. Egr (lots of work for intake manifold) off to take a look, a little bit of water so cleaned it. Then took out glow plugs, disconnected injectors and turned her over for 5 secs. Then a break etc, for about a minute till nothing seemed to me coming out (although only seemed to be cylinder 3). (sounds aweful with no plugs and compression in) put it all back together (with different intake) and starter her up. She started first time other than some errors (egr wasn't connected) cleared the errors and she seems ok again. Going to leave her to dry overnight and fingers crossed she will be fine in the morning.

• Like 1

Aidan, I would follow Marks advice and change the oil too. Have you checked the level of the oil in the sump? If I am correct, the water that got into the cylinders has passed the piston rings into the sump, and contaminated the oil. Water is thinner than oil. The level in the sump may have risen slightly, but more of concern is the damage that may occur to other components. An oil change with flush to be sure.

I have noticed that K@N filters set low are susceptible to sucking in water, if set low (for cold air intake). Standard setups are designed to make this less likely.     

the last thing you need / want is mayo in your sump dont risk it and do an engine flush & change the oil & filter

water doesn't compress and when under pressure it will take the easiest way out which will be past the rings.

I can't afford it at the moment :/. Plus last time I tried to get my filter off. It didn't happen. In keeping an eye on the oil but until next month in just going to have to take it a steady :/

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links