Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Mechanical door failure, anyone else?

crompy_p03

Hi everyone, 

Just wondering if anyone else has experience the same issue as me. I have a 2010 Yaris, fab condition. The passenger front door will not open from the outside or inside, no damage done to it at all. Toyota have said that even though they admit to it being a mechanical defect, it is out of warranty and also not a recall issue. Im just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? As i found their customer service to be quite rude and unhelpful, and obviously I plan to take it further but will help if I had some facts and stats behind me. 

kind regards and thanks to all for reading,

Pamela

The recall system within the UK deals with safety related issues. The process is that owners can raise an issue with the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), and, if there are a sufficient number of complaints on the same issue, DVSA will jointly investigate with the manufacturer. If it is found that the issue is safety related, formal recall action will take place. If there are an insufficient number of complaints the issue won't be progressed.

As regards the warranty, a 2010 vehicle would either have had a 3 year/60,000 mile new car warranty if first registered before 1st June 2010, or a 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty if first registered on or after 1st June 2010. Both levels of new car warranty will have expired by now.

Depending on whether the car has a full Toyota service history, Toyota might have considered a goodwill contribution towards the cost of repairs. Without a full Toyota service history, the chances of a goodwill contribution are greatly lessened.

No manufacturer is obliged to provide assistance once the warranty has expired, unless the owner has something like an externded warranty.

Toyota may have admitted that it is a mechanical defect, but that isn't necessarily a manufacturing defect, which is what most warranties provide cover against. Mechanical defects can arise through wear and tear.

Some members have experienced things like the central locking actuators failing.

My 2010 Yaris HAD exactly the same problem ... I ended up removing the screw and taking off the internal door handle facia. Once removed there are 2 ball joints that fit onto the door mechanism. I pulled at the cable and this ended up working and freeing the lock so I can now use the door again. Not sure how long it will last but we will see ...

• 3 weeks later...

As annoying as the problem is, any competent garage should be able to rectify the problem quite easily.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links