Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Went and got a tuning box... Long term test begins

Martyt3x

Today I took the plunge and fitted a tuning box, the d4d just didn't have the low down grunt and too much turbo lag for my taste, after days of scouring the internet I settled for a diesel express box after reading some good reviews on other forums, (others are available), it's digital and not a resistor and has 8 settings, I'm aware of how these boxes work fooling the ecu to up the fuel pressure but this one only does it at the low/ mid range and the theory is if you drive the same as before you don't Rev the engine as high and use slightly less fuel, the turbo boost is not affected, most people swear by re maps of the ecu but this can't be done on the d4d as far as I know. 

i fitted it this afternoon, took 5 mins, I started her up and straight away noticed it started first turn of the key with no smoke (see my previous thread regarding starting problems) idol is smoother too. I'm guessing this proves my suction valve is the problem with starting as its not supplying enough pressure at start up. I will test the start up theory tomorrow morning. 

it came on setting 3 which other than the good start up didn't really notice much driving so moved it up to 4 there was a noticeable difference, notched it up to 5 and it's about what I want! Turbo lag is virtually gone, much more response low down and feels like a different car, it's to early to judge any difference on mpg but will update after a while, now I need to hold back the temptation to turn it up any higher and let it run as it is for a while.. Going to run some injector cleaner and good fuel through her. I know a few people who have run these boxes for years with no ill affects and after removing them have put them straight back on missing the extra torque. 

• Like 2

Still early days but went out today in the avensis and had a smile on my face the whole time 😀 Think I will have to wait for the novelty of the extra power under my right foot to ware off before I compare mpg figures 😂

Have a dtuk box on my own was great with mpg and smooth power delivery. But 1 thing I will add is don't be pushing it too hard try to use it for overtaking/towing.it could add to ruining the dmf a lot quicker than when it was standard. (But yes they are damn fun).

3 hours ago, frankie406 said:

Have a dtuk box on my own was great with mpg and smooth power delivery. But 1 thing I will add is don't be pushing it too hard try to use it for overtaking/towing.it could add to ruining the dmf a lot quicker than when it was standard. (But yes they are damn fun).

How far up the settings have you gone? I have 8 settings and on 5 at the moment, wondering how much more I would get at 6 or 7 😂

Not sure think I'm just on map 3.more eco and a bit of power I can change to all power but the thought of wrecking the dmf which is brand new! Or damage to the valve train

• 1 month later...

Hi any updates on your long term test? Very interested as I want to get one for my T25 D4D 2.2 150Hp.

Other than an unrelated scv valve problem all is well, was getting just under 49mpg before and now get 52 fill to fill! 

Why you guys still use those hoax tuning boxes? I think there is a proper shop for make real tuning adjustments and dyno your car?  Example we can make modified program in that ECU what lower you consumption, we adjust injection timings better and more power and torque on low rpm. These boxes ground injectors and often add more rail pressure and result will be leaking injectors and rough noise on pressing gas pedal. I thought these boxes are in history in Toyotas too... I hope you got good results and engine stays running. I have my 2009 4WD Hiace 155hp and 380nm torque, average consumption is 9-10 liter/km, before tune it take almost 13...  Measured with MAHA 4WD dyno. 

• Like 1

Apparently the denso ecu cannot be hacked.I had a tuning box and it wasn't to increase rail pressure but to hold the injector open longer I believe. Dtuk box.

You mean these? I really didnt meant to be arrogant but i have tuned over 60 toyotas this year, unfortunately i live in Finland but i can tune ECU via mail. 1-2KD-FTV 2006> Avensis 2005> 2.0 and 2.2, all petrol engines 2002> New Hilux GD-FTV can be remapped too. Here is few stock files for toyota 

If youre interested more about this i can jump on a plane and come by to tune Toyotas. At least 3 cars. 2.2 basic tune is 180hp, 2.0 155hp, These tunes are "safe". Here is basic Hiace 2.5 D4D dyno chart with 4WD power loss calculation. Tuned and measured by www.turbotec.com Finland

Stage 2 155 hp/380nm is like my own. 

HIACE_TURBOTEC.pdf

Mines a 2006 avensis 2.0 d4d 116bhp 

Checked superchips and other leading remappers and all said can't be done?

2.0 D-4D Toyota Denso 85 kW/116 hv 280 Nm 107 kW/146 hv 350 Nm

2006 car                                                                                      Stock                                                Tuned

I can send you video about next avensis which comes to me, if your engine is newer aluminium block, not older 5-speed casted 117hp versio it cannot be done, there is no access. And im not bull****ting anything, our main programmer has been in industry now almost 30 years and we are market leader in Finland.

But you can check it with yourself if it can be done, no glue, Battery removal or special tools needed. I assume ecu is behind glove box, take it off and open it (4screws on top) and you see PCB, take 2 more screws off and check serial. Serial is shown on left upper corner in this picture. If car is T27> or LC 2006> it uses plastic covered ecu, sometimes it is on engine compartment or same glove box location. Engine comp model is more difficult to open but i can give instructions for it too. Processor type is shown on big black chip 76F00XX, 38,39,40,85 and 86 are supported. 

Some tuners have problems with tuning and they dont do it again because they use wrong tools, they use so called virtual reading system, they dont get any backup from processor at all. So if virtual detection is wrong, all immo, ecu and locks must be changed, car halts. We read backup file and modify checksum on PCB, and then we can write it via OBD too. If there is a need to return it stock, it can be done fast. 

HILUX_2006_2.5_ECU.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah mines the old 5 speed manual gearbox 116bp :mellow:...great right up I'm sure someone on here will be grateful for the info you have put up.thanks mats👍

2 hours ago, Mats Turret said:

2.0 D-4D Toyota Denso 85 kW/116 hv 280 Nm 107 kW/146 hv 350 Nm

2006 car                                                                                      Stock                                                Tuned

I can send you video about next avensis which comes to me, if your engine is newer aluminium block, not older 5-speed casted 117hp versio it cannot be done, there is no access. And im not bull****ting anything, our main programmer has been in industry now almost 30 years and we are market leader in Finland.

But you can check it with yourself if it can be done, no glue, battery removal or special tools needed. I assume ecu is behind glove box, take it off and open it (4screws on top) and you see PCB, take 2 more screws off and check serial. Serial is shown on left upper corner in this picture. If car is T27> or LC 2006> it uses plastic covered ecu, sometimes it is on engine compartment or same glove box location. Engine comp model is more difficult to open but i can give instructions for it too. Processor type is shown on big black chip 76F00XX, 38,39,40,85 and 86 are supported. 

Some tuners have problems with tuning and they dont do it again because they use wrong tools, they use so called virtual reading system, they dont get any backup from processor at all. So if virtual detection is wrong, all immo, ecu and locks must be changed, car halts. We read backup file and modify checksum on PCB, and then we can write it via OBD too. If there is a need to return it stock, it can be done fast. 

HILUX_2006_2.5_ECU.jpg

28 minutes ago, frankie406 said:

Yeah mines the old 5 speed manual gearbox 116bp :mellow:...great right up I'm sure someone on here will be grateful for the info you have put up.thanks mats👍

If a car has a known running issue and Toyota are aware, the car has an ECU update. This means there is a way to alter the parameters. 

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/GTS/Wizard/ecu.aspx

So I can assume that Matti has got hold of the official equipment, or found a way to get into the ECU or made a physical alteration to make the changes.

It takes someone with great understanding of circuit boards, plus access to the right equipment to do these things.

Question to Matti- 135 Kw 1.8 Valvematic Avensis. That is 180 BHP! How was this achieved, and was forced induction used?

Personally I am happy with my 'standard' car, and don't want to add any more stress to the car. 

How much does all this cost?  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mats Turret said:

You mean these? I really didnt meant to be arrogant but i have tuned over 60 toyotas this year, unfortunately i live in Finland but i can tune ECU via mail. 1-2KD-FTV 2006> Avensis 2005> 2.0 and 2.2, all petrol engines 2002> New Hilux GD-FTV can be remapped too. Here is few stock files for toyota 

76F0085 Main flash (992 KB) 89663-05850-A_AVENSIS_18_2009.bin

WinOLS (Toyota AVENSIS 2.2 VAKIO Avensis (Toyota Avensis 2.2 GD 2009.bin

76F0040GD Main flash (368 KB) 89663-0K892-HILUX-KPB-915.bin

Toyota_LANDCRUISER30AT_2005_163hv.bin

Toyota_LANDCRUISER30AT_2007_197hv.bin

Toyota_HILUX25_2015_144hv.bin

No one can currently remap 1ad-ftv engines, how many of these have you successfully mapped? This is the engine I have and that is why my only option was a tuning box, it is not a cheap resistor box either. 

Hello all, i live in Denmark (Europe)

I own a Avensis stc. 2.0 D4D (1AD-FTV 3.gen) i just booked my car for a remap at a well named tuner here. result should be around 160hp / 400nm

So the era of tuning boxes is over.

My remap will be done at the 12 of september, so im just waiting.

/HartmannX

2016-08-17 07.10.53.jpg

2016-08-17 07.10.44.jpg

2016-08-17 07.10.36.jpg

Isnt this a piggyback chip instead of a remap? Which fools the ecu. Sort of like a tuning box.... Correct me if im wrong. Otherwise why remove the ecu? 

Because Toyota is locked read option via OBD until 2015. Original file must be read from PCB and then you can write if checksum is correct via OBD. Same thing is almost all 2011> Ford, BMW, MB, VAG etc Diesels and GTI models which uses TriCore /EDC17 chip variants. Factory doesnt need original files :D. Both of these cars are properly tuned in ecu software, not piggies or injector boxes.  Maybe your box is working fine today and has no issues because people know more now. 

I have true story about Hilux box bought from Sweden, engine rattles and rail pressure was 200 bar above maximum. These were acceptable for customer but on/off throttle wasnt, car keeped accelerating when rpm was above 2500. Only way to stop moving was push brake until rpm dropped under 2500..

I have also tested couple box Toyotas and results were mixed. Others add so much torque on low revs that clutch shake and gearbox scream, smoke also was horrible, other just gave 10hp more but fuel consumption was really lower because it also adjusted injection timing earlier. 

Because Toyota is locked read option via OBD until 2015. Original file must be read from PCB and then you can write if checksum is correct via OBD. Same thing is almost all 2011> Ford, BMW, MB, VAG etc Diesels and GTI models which uses TriCore /EDC17 chip variants. Factory doesnt need original files :D. Both of these cars are properly tuned in ecu software, not piggies or injector boxes.  Maybe your box is working fine today and has no issues because people know more now. 

I have true story about Hilux box bought from Sweden, engine rattles and rail pressure was 200 bar above maximum. These were acceptable for customer but on/off throttle wasnt, car keeped accelerating when rpm was above 2500. Only way to stop moving was push brake until rpm dropped under 2500..

I have also tested couple box Toyotas and results were mixed. Others add so much torque on low revs that clutch shake and gearbox scream, smoke also was horrible, other just gave 10hp more but fuel consumption was really lower because it also adjusted injection timing earlier. 

mats Turret, its correct. Scantune makes the real deal whit remap, EGR off, DPF off ect.

Whats is your experience whit 1AD-FTV engines, from 2009 to around 2015 (before new facelift and BMW engines)

/HartmannX

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

Please bear in mind that to sell multiple goods or services via Toyota Owners Club, one will need to register as a trader first.

• Like 1

My apologies if this went to commercial, that wasnt the point..

Me2, the point has always been to discuss remaps ect.

Well I can only talk about my own experience and I have had no problems with the digital tuning box, it has given me what I wanted. It got rid of the flat spot and increased the low end torque that was missing on the 1ad-ftv. I asked a lot of specific questions before I ordered as I didn't want a crazy street racer, the box only adjusts the fuel pressure to any greater degree at the low down revs and then tails off to standard after the turbo kicks in so the higher the revs the less the increase in fuel pressure. This can be adjusted. I have had a genuine increase in mpg under normal driving, no smoke no rattles etc... I unplugged it once and went for a drive and plugged it straight back as I couldn't live with the turbo lag when pulling from junctions etc.. It has made it the car I want. And the best thing is if I ever sell the car it can go back to standard if needed and the box can be sent back re-cabled and re-programmed to suite my next car and it's free. 

• Like 2