Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SR180 Steering Intermediate Shaft?

DanNorris

Hi all, just collected an SR180 that has a knock when you turn the steering wheel at slow speeds and when sat still, I'm thinking it's the intermediate shaft with the 2 UJs on? Anyone know the part number and where do you buy your parts as dealer wanted 180 plus vat!

you could try this company i have used them before and have had really good parts

http://www.car-transplants.co.uk/used-parts-breaking-vehicles/

Parts & Tyres: 01270 627919 or 01270 626266

they have 6 Auris of your year for breaking there is a listing for a steering column

• 1 month later...

Hi Dan,

I'm having the same issues on my Yaris 1.8. A knock when i'm turning at low speeds, Steven Eagell in Aylesbury wanted to replace the whole steering column at a wooping £1700!!!! Can you confirm with me if you found the problem? is it the Intermediate steering shaft? The knock is almost imperceptible and it's something that you feel while driving.

I went to a second workshop which suggested to grease the shaft but i will try to go to oxford to get a second opinion. I'm not a expert but this should be a faulty part not the whole system.

Thanks!

a few lexus ct's have had this issue and its been down to the UJ in the steering column having play in it

so it may be worth checking this area

Hi Eygo!

Thanks for the tip!

It seems logical to be a part like this, the steering is fine and very responsive but that small knocking when i park drives me insane!

If this is the case, is this related to the intermediate steering shaft? I find it odd for a part like this to give in at 60k. My first yaris (2006 D4D) with 100k on the clock didn't had this issue and it had a heavier front end.

Once i get back to the UK i'll check this out and provide feedback. Thanks!

Dan, i had this exact problem.

toyota greased the column which madr no difference.  Took in back and they replaced universal joint at base of column, that was late june and no knocking since.  Hope this helps

I had problem on electronic power steering turning heavy.Shows PS on the panel.can this be reset on the repair shop.it started when I'm loosing power on the alternator.when that fixed still power steering show problem.anyone had same problem.my car is toyota vios 2007

Edited by Ikemeracap
Add more text