Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How do you know if a speed camera is active?

mickburkesnr

Just been driving a long a stretch of road in Birmingham, and for years it was 40mph but has now been reduced to 30mph (even though it's a dual carriageway?). I was trying to work out something between me and my partner in the car and I forgot about the speed limit, and drove past a speed camera. I didn't notice it flash, however I remember being told that the camera doesn't need to flash now in order to take a photo. But I can't seem to find any information about this?

I'm highly annoyed with myself for doing it, as I've been driving 7 years without any sort of speeding issues or points, and it annoys me that I could now be getting the brown envelope detailing how many points I'll be getting.

FYI for those in Birmingham, it's the dual carriageway on the Bristol Road heading to Selly Oak, just past where Pebble Mill used to be.

Fixed speed cameras in Birmngham were turned off in 2013. 

However, the City Council have decided to install new digital speed cameras at eight City locations (including one on the Bristol Road) and will be switching these on from 18th July 2016.

Thanks for that. I did think they were switched off but it's one of those things that the only way to find out is by going through them which I didn't want to do. I've had a look at the location of that Bristol Road one and it's in force further back on the road where I thought I was caught.

Ugh, I witnessed a scary near-miss on Wednesday because of variable speed limits on the M25.

Gantry suddenly went from nothing to 40mph - Everybody ignored it except someone in a Merc in the lane to my right who slammed on the brakes going from over 70mph to 40mph and almost got rear-ended by a van who managed to dodge into my lane behind me as I flew past!

The next gantry had an NSL so I don't even know why that 40 limit was displayed - There was literally no reason for it!

I swear it's a miracle that more people aren't dying on that part of the M25 since they introduced these SURPRISE! speed limits and took away the hard shoulder. I swear there have been more accidents there since they made these changes than before; There's at least one major incident every week, often more!

Whoever is manning the controls for those gantries needs to have a good kick up the **** and taught that if they're going to pull crap like that they need to monitor traffic flow FIRST and put in a gradual slow down, not just flash up a 40mph sign in fast moving traffic!.

I know with those cameras on the motorway they can be turned on and off independent of the speed limit displayed. When in a situation like that there is no safe way to slow your speed down, especially from 70mph to 40mph, so I'd carry on. But you always run that risk of whether or not the speed camera being active according to the speed limit displayed.

Also, the cameras on the M6 can be switched on without the speed limit being displayed aparently.

Finally, found out more about those average speed cameras coming to Birmingham. They are due to be switched on 30th June 2016, and it's on the full stretch of the Hagley Road which I use to get to and from work. This morning I stuck to the inside lane (closest the kerb) and every clown in the world was doing 40mph+ past me. Thing is it's really, really hard to notice the speed cameras they have installed because they're more or less at the top of the street lights and are tiny. So come the 30th June there will be plenty of people moaning and crying that they've been caught speeding.

I, however, won't be one of them. Hopefully!

• 3 weeks later...

The turning on of the eight new digital cameras in Birmingham and Solihull has been delayed until 8th August. 

Summer showers have prevented testing being done - http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-speed-camera-switch-delayed-11621757

Amazing that a bit of rain can stop these things from being tested.

I did notice however driving along the Hagley Road that a lot of the cameras aren't aligned properly. Some are pointing every other way except for on the road.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links