Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Limp home mode

KJNEAL

My 2002 RAV4 D4D goes into limp mode when in fifth, have replaced sSCV's and Air flow Sensor but the problem still exists - help!.

What is the fault code set when the light comes on ?

• 4 weeks later...

hi Keith ,your not far from me im near Brecon a40 .have a read on page one  lack of power see if the info there is any help .I fix mine and it goes like a rocket lol  

First things first, order a code reader, ideally a full Techstream kit as it'll let you interrogate the ECU for things like injector values etc.

While you're waiting run the tank down and fill up with a full tank of either BP Ultimate or Shell VPower Diesel, yes it's a few pence per ltr more, but it's got higher concentrations of detergent which will reduce injector buildup and carbon buildup on the control ring/actuator. Don't expect instant miracles, you're looking at seeing little or no difference on the first tank. Assuming the problem improves run another tank through and see if it stays that way.

Was the replacement MAF genuine and new? Some of the aftermarket ones are really poor.

• 3 months later...

Thanks to the members for their help, despite trying all of the approved methods I solved the problem in a few second. I was accelerating uphill went to change from 3rd to 4th but dropped it into 2nd, clouds of black smoke, it was like night behind me - but ever since no problems.

I had that the first time it started playing up black smoke ,last thing I did was clean the egr had no trouble since 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links