Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can anyone help diagnose my issue?

narcodog

Hi people, this is my first post.

I have an Avensis Verso, diesel engine, manual transmission. early 2000's model (I don't have the exact year on me this second, but I can get it).

Last night I was driving home at night in the rain. As I pulled onto the motorway, the engine shaped warning light on the dash lit up, and I lost power. It would barely rev at all, but the engine was still going. I was going up hill and after a few hundred meters (yards) I had to stop.

The police came to rescue me (and they also broke down 02lol.gif , so a second lot of police came to rescue us both).

After they had towed me off the motorway and left me in a car park to wait for a tow truck, I tried the car again, and it didn't work. Then I tried it again about 15 minutes later, and it started. I drove home (avoiding the motorway) and it drove as normal, with no warning light.

I did notice that the clock must have reset itself to midnight at the time of the loss of power, so I am thinking something electrical.

There were no funny sounds, no smells, no recent work done, no signs of anything wrong, no excessive usage of oil.

Of course I am reluctant to take such an open ended issue to a mechanic without trying to figure out a little myself what is wrong.

And of course, I realize that it is not really possibly to diagnose over the internet, but someone may have some ideas.

Thank you for you time

Matt

The fact that the EML (Engine Management Light) illuminated means that the fault registered on the car's ecu. Even though the light has gone out the fault will remain stored in its memory. 

You can buy a code reader for less than £10.There's plenty of information online which can offer an indication of what the problem could be once you find out which code the ecu has stored. 

I wonder if the rain and conditions played a part with your breakdown? The water must have got into the electrics and the clock resetting may be a clue. Add the fact the Police also broke down. You must have hit a puddle or water was splashed. 

Gary's answer regarding buying a diagnostic code reader is valid, so long as the car is OBD2 compliant. Even though petrol cars had to be ODB2 compliant by 2001, diesel cars had to wait another couple of years. Some cars were OBD2 compliant before the official dates. Gary is correct that the code should be stored, since the EML came on.

You can try the paper clip trick to see to confirm what system your ECU is using. Pins 4 and 13 are linked, causing the EML/ABS/SRS lights to flash Morse code style. If the EML does not flash, then your car is OBD2 compliant.  

Thanks guys that's some good info! I wasn't aware of this, since my usual car has is older than I am, and I'm not that young!

so I tried shorting the pins, and the EML flashed continuously, and not morse code style. This doesn't seem to fit with either of the scenarios Konrad mentioned above?

matt

I just found in the bluedriver app that enhanced reports are (apparently) supported

Also, according to the VIN it is  2000 model, which isn't what it says on its ownership papers..

m

39 minutes ago, narcodog said:

Also, according to the VIN it is  2000 model, which isn't what it says on its ownership papers..

The VIN will show when the car was made while the ownership papers will show when it was first registered.

I remember seeing on TV in the UK that this dealership had a 1994 Mercedes S Class for sale as a brand new vehicle, never registered, even though it was then 2002/2003. So if I had bought the S Class the papers would've said the car was first registered in 2003 not when the car was first built.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links