Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Push Start

plasma99

Is it possible to push start an Avensis D4D? I did try with the help of three colleagues yesterday afternoon without success (I was in a hurry). I was eventually rescued by someone with jump leads but it did get me thinking - could it be done if you were really stuck? The users manual talks about overheating the catalytic converter and possibly damaging the vehicle but it does not seem to say it's impossible.  I assume you would need to generate enough energy to get the glow plugs working.

You could push start old technology diesels, you just needed to be very strong! (or find a nice downward slope). I remember once push starting a Citroen AX 1.4 diesel and even that was hard work! With a common rail diesel like a D-4D though the biggest issue would be building enough pressure in the fuel rail to make the ECU fire the injectors. Realistically I don't think that could be done just from pushing or rolling the car.

The warning about not damaging the catalytic converter really only applies to petrol engines. In practical terms the catalysts fitted to diesels are very hard to damage and about as much use as a chocolate teapot anyway. They need to be physically present for the MOT but they don't actually need to work.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links