Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Traction control on hybrid

MetManMark

All

We are looking to buy a auris touring hybrid. I understand that it is possible to turn off the traction control on the face lift version 2015 onwards. Is this correct? How do you do this? I'd it a simple button to press or is it a lengthy series of actions to put the car in maintenance mode as with the Prius?

This is something that occurred to me after our test drive!

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm curious as to why you want to turn the traction control off.

My last car had the switch, but never needed to turn it off. I did have a fault where it was disabled and the car had worse handling because it.

Turning off the traction control temporarily can be very useful when stuck in snow. There are situations in snow or ice where gentle acceleration from standstill just doesn't work, but some revs and wheel spin in second or third gear is enough to get a stuck car free and moving again.

30 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

Turning off the traction control temporarily can be very useful when stuck in snow. There are situations in snow or ice where gentle acceleration from standstill just doesn't work, but some revs and wheel spin in second or third gear is enough to get a stuck car free and moving again.

I never had any problem with just using the clutch and no accelerator, letting the car creep, even going up hill. Maybe that's because I don't opt for standard summer tyres.

That's why i asked, I live in one those places where snow is never a real problem. :wink:

the OP is looking at buying a hybrid so that means CVT this is why traction control off is needed

during the months of the white slippy stuff.

I grew up in Scotland and we were regularly snowed in. My parents moved there in the 1970s and bought saabs because they were pretty good in the snow. I have fond memories of helping neighbours up the hill to where we lived - pushing cars up the tracks that we had cleared with snow shovels. Although we now live in Devon I still have a worry about being somewhere slippery (such as a muddy farmers field) and the traction control basically saying that it is slippy and not doing anything. I'd like the ability to be able to turn off the traction control and have manual control over the car. Is this possible on a 2015 hybrid? On another forum I read that this was possible from the facelift model onwards. But it wasn't a specific Toyota forum so I thought I'd ask here...

Thanks in advance :).

Mark

I`m not sure about turning the TC off on the mk2 Auris hsd, but our mk1 was hopeless when stuck on wet muddy grass. As soon as a wheel slips all power is cut to the wheels. But the tyres were worn down, after replacing the tyres we`ve had no more problems.

So If you`re worried about snow or poor road conditions, a set of winter tyres would be a good investment.

auris hsd 2015 facelift does have TRC off and VSC off switch. It is located below the climate control. You can see it clearly on the official images on toyota website. Never tried. Went trough the winter with 20 cm of snow, ice roads, gravel and grass. Didnt have an issue. I understand your worries, I had the same question when I was buying my car. Just use good tires and common sense.

if its anything like my IS press the trc button and let go will turn the trc off to get you out of trouble

and when your moving again it turns back on,the other option is to press and hold trc button

for approx 10 seconds this will turn trc off until the next ignition on.

My manual says, in my own words ;)

Press once to turn off TRC (if stuck in mud or snow)

Press longer then 3 sec  while vehicle is parked to turn off TRC and VSC. Press again to turn on again.

This also turns off Precolision system.

Thanks all. I downloaded the manual and read everything this morning. Just need to finish building garage and pushing driveway and then I have the green light to splash out on a new motor 😃.

M

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links