Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speed Limiter

Mutt08

Quick question regarding the speed limiter in the new shape Aygo.

With the speed limiter set & I achieve the set speed limit, do the brake lights come on as it attempts to slow the vehicle down?

Hi,

Once you reach the limit, the car just doesn't allow you to go any faster. I am not sure what happens while going down a steep hill, i only tried a loan car while mine was being serviced.

Thanks Anthony, it does feel like the car is being slowed down when travelling down a decline but not sure if it does this by applying the brakes or not.

Would imagine that the amount of air/fuel is being reduced rather than the brakes being applied.

• Like 1

I've never encountered a car/van/truck which applies the brakes when exceeding the speed limiter, the limiter merely stops you from being able to accelerate.

• Like 1

If it's the same as the Avensis, if your on a decline, it won't slow you down and you have to take your foot of the accelerator or use the brakes to get you below or at whatever speed you've set. The speed on the display also contrast inverts, to let you know that your above whatever speed you've set. It's not the best system out there but it works and is handy if your watching the points on your licence, especially with the average speed cameras. 

• Like 2

When below the set speed you can accelerate, once at the set speed the power from accelerator stops or is maintained depending on the road surface.  No braking is ever automatically applied, that's still the control of the driver so don't worry there are no auto break lights going on to confuse drivers behind.  If the limiter is turned on when you're above to set speed or it's already on and your speed increases above the set speed without you using the accelerator (ie going down a hill) then the limiter display flashes and an audible continuous bleep warns you're above the set limit - these warnings stop once you're back below the set limit.

Many thanks for the explanation, I was concerned that the brake lights kept lighting up & annoying drivers following behind.