Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Own Servicing

Andy Kay

My iQ is six years old now, done 50,000 miles, and as far as I'm concerned it owes me nothing now so it's on a wind-down to the breakers yard. Consequently I'm unwilling to pay the £350 I've been quoted for the next dealer service and I'm thinking of doing what I can myself (oil and filter etc.). I thought I'd better check with you guys before I put my plan into action just in case I've missed an angle. Wadderyathink?

Done all my own servicing on my iQ3 since I bought the car at 2 years old. It is an earlier model that only had the 3 year warranty on it so when it got to three years old, I simply did the service myself.

I change the oil and filter every year getting the filter from the local Toyota dealer. They seem quite happy to supply them to me and I get the oil from Halfords or the local motor factors. I use Castrol Magnatec  5w 30 oil and never had any problems. 

Jacking the car up high enough to get underneath can be fun. I have to drive mine up on wooden planks 2" thick then get two trolley jacks in the side behind the front wheels. There is a big bolt there that holds the sub frame in place and makes a perfect jacking point. I've never been a fan of jacking on the sills myself as they are quite easy to damage.

Air filter is a simple clip in thing, I have changed the brake pads myself, nothing special there really and changed the spark plugs too, bit more involved but easy to do with fairly basic tools. I have changed both the drive belts too, (Aircon and alternator) as they were damaged. So far I haven't found anything I can't do myself or feel I need the dealer to do for me. 

If you need a guide on servicing or how to get access to something ask on here, sure we can help. 

Craig.

• Like 1

Brill... thanks Craig. I'll come back to this thread when I get time to tackle the job and let you know how I got on.

Looking for an oil filter on eBay I see the normal style of filter that I expected to find:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-iQ-1-3-09-Present-OE-Quality-Oil-Filter-/311631813325?hash=item488eb41acd:g:F-wAAOSw3YNXZ62-

But then there's something completely different:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Filter-for-TOYOTA-iQ-1-3-2009-Reisse-/361266625768?hash=item541d2b3ce8:g:WdgAAOSwoydWogYb

Which of these would be the correct one to order?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 7:53 PM, Vscudetto said:

Thanks for the heads-up on the need for the removal tool Vscudetto.

Well, I think I might be due some stick for this but...

I purchased the filter and removal tool, along with 4L of Castrol Magnatec 5W30, but after draining the old oil I found that I couldn't remove the oil filter cover no matter how hard I tried. The car was last serviced by a Toyota dealer and I suspect they might have used a pneumatic wrench to put the cover back on. Somewhat stuck, I put the new oil in and left the old oil filter in place. I plan to have another oil change in about six months, taking my oil filter and removal tool to a local garage equipped with a pneumatic wrench. Ho hum.

I'm not sure what benefit there is of buying the internals for the oil filter?

Also you can buy an oil filter removal tool. It's just a metal band with a handle that you adjust the tightness of with a screw at the end of the handle. Makes the removal far easier.

Toyota's preferred oil is 0W-20 .....

2 hours ago, mickburkesnr said:

Also you can buy an oil filter removal tool. It's just a metal band with a handle that you adjust the tightness of with a screw at the end of the handle. Makes the removal far easier.

This is different...

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I was following Craig's lead on the 5W30. Will it make much difference over then next six months (3 to 4 thousand miles)?

0w20 is harder to find and more expensive when you do. 5w30 is listed as suitable in the hand book and it works just as well. You may see a slight increase in mpg with the thicker oil but it's made no noticeable difference on my car.

Craig.

2 minutes ago, craggle said:

0w20 is harder to find and more expensive when you do. 5w30 is listed as suitable in the hand book and it works just as well. You may see a slight increase in mpg with the thicker oil but it's made no noticeable difference on my car.

Craig.

I'm cool with that Craig.

0w20 is getting easier to get hold of now as more cars seem to be going this way. I have been lucky in buying off eBay last couple of times off people who had bought a new car and got oil for top up. As usual never needed so bought the 5lt bottles off them unopened 👍

Great cars and very easy to service 

On 14/07/2016 at 1:23 PM, Andy Kay said:

Thanks for the heads-up on the need for the removal tool Vscudetto.

Well, I think I might be due some stick for this but...

I purchased the filter and removal tool, along with 4L of Castrol Magnatec 5W30, but after draining the old oil I found that I couldn't remove the oil filter cover no matter how hard I tried. The car was last serviced by a Toyota dealer and I suspect they might have used a pneumatic wrench to put the cover back on. Somewhat stuck, I put the new oil in and left the old oil filter in place. I plan to have another oil change in about six months, taking my oil filter and removal tool to a local garage equipped with a pneumatic wrench. Ho hum.

I wouldn't use any air tools on the oil filter. All you need is a 1/2 breaker bar if its too tight. I don't think any mechanic would use a pneumatic wrench. the housing would most likely crack.

On 14/07/2016 at 1:28 PM, mickburkesnr said:

Two types on oil filter fitted to the IQ, the normal canister on the 1l and the filter element on the 1.33. The strap is fine for the 1l but the tool I linked is required for the element replacement.

On 14/07/2016 at 1:33 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

0w20 is the eco spec oil but most newer toyotas will happily run on either. 5w30 is more readily available which is a benefit I guess.

On 14/07/2016 at 3:43 PM, Andy Kay said:

I was following Craig's lead on the 5W30. Will it make much difference over then next six months (3 to 4 thousand miles)?

Would't make any difference.

On 14/07/2016 at 1:33 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

2 hours ago, Vscudetto said:

0w20 is the eco spec oil but most newer toyotas will happily run on either. 

0W-20 oil is Toyota's preferred oil for the Optimal Drive petrol engines introduced from 2008.

Yes, one can use 5W-30, but the Owner's Manuals usually state:

SAE 0W-20 is filled into your Toyota at manufacturing and the best choice for  good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.

If SAE 0W-20 oil is not available, SAE 5W-30 may be used. However, it should be replaced with 0W-20 at the next oil change.

Whilst I agree. Garages that use data software to get their oil will find both specs listed, so they will use the cheaper option unless you specifically ask. I assume all toyota dealers would use 0w20 but its not compulsory from what I understand

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Block exemption prevents any manufacturer insisting a particular oil is used.

Which is why Toyota have a strongly worded 'preference' in their owners manuals for using 0W-20 oil, rather than stating it must be used. If 0W-20 wasn't the best choice from a manufacturers viewpoint they wouldn't advise that although 5W-30 may be used, it should be replaced at the next oil change with 0W-20.

Similar to:  "Eating is required to stay alive, but it is not compulsory."

So to some it up. This engine can take 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 Than meet the spec of API SL, API SM or ILSAC. Most likely the preference is in that order aswell.

Just in case Andy is worried about having 5W30 in his car, these engine and several others have been running 5W30 for years.

6 minutes ago, Vscudetto said:

So to some it up. This engine can take 0W20, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30 Than meet the spec of API SL, API SM or ILSAC. Most likely the preference is in that order aswell.

No - as the owners manual states:

SAE 0W-20 is filled into your Toyota at manufacturing and the best choice for  good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.

If SAE 0W-20 oil is not available, SAE 5W-30 may be used. However, it should be replaced with 0W-20 at the next oil change.

The following thread has been pinned to some clubs for the past three years -

The engines in the IQ benefit from Toyota's Optimal Drive technology, so the requirement remains 0W-20.

As regards the API specifications, the latest spec is SN, which supersedes the earlier specs. As oil manufacturers update the specifications of their oils, oils made to SL spec will disappear from the market, leaving just SM and SN. The same progression will apply when a higher spec than SN materialises.

Im going by Toyotas official own service spec sheet for the IQ, which is referred to by garages.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My previous post stands.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links