Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mayonnaise in oil filler cap?

fordulike

I check all the fluid levels every two weeks, but I have noticed that the oil filler cap accumulates a slight amount of mayonnaise in the top over time. Maybe about half a teaspoon every 1000 miles. I use a cotton bud to scoop it out, but it does return. The coolant level hasn't dropped and there are no signs of oil in the radiator or expansion bottle. Oil level normal. Toyota dealer serviced since new.

I have read that short journeys can exacerbate this, but I'm hoping someone can advise me if it's worth taking the car into the dealer, or whether this is pretty normal. It's well within warranty, but I'd rather not have the hassle of booking it in, only for them to tell me it's totally normal.

My daily journey is 8 miles to work, complete cool down of engine for 8 hours, then 8 miles back home. Half town and half motorway. Is this considered a short journey?

2013 model, 24,000 miles on clock.

The oil cap does look like it's designed to trap gunk in the top, as it's sectioned off and not smooth like others I've seen.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

I had this on my 107 which I gave to the girlfriend to drive. During the winter she was only driving it about 2/3 miles a day. When I checked under the cap to top up the oil I found this white gunk under the cap. From what I read on the internet it's basically the water particles in the petrol which don't get burned off on short journeys because the engine doesn't get to the proper operating temperature.

I cleaned it off and took it on a good long blast along the motorway, and every other weekend I'll drive around in it as it'll either not be driven or driven short distances by the girlfriend. I've checked it regularly since and it's been fine and hasn't returned.

• Like 1

That's reassuring, thanks Mick.

You need to be aware that this mayonnaise can build up in the engine breather system, you'd be better to remove the hoses and clean them out periodically.

Also make sure that your cooling fan isn't staying on because this will over-cool the engine.  

• Like 2

as long as its not on the dipstick then i would say your ok

in the cap it could be condensation & oil vapour mixing together

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just to put other owner's minds at rest, went on a 300 mile non stop journey and all mayonnaise in cap disappeared. It was squeaky clean when I checked.

It is generally condensation that does not get burned off. Repeated short journeys are never good. Unless the car is needed, I walk/cycle. 

I would also do more oil services, as the oil is more contaminated! 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links