Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis information guidance required

Scots Guy

Hi in herited a Toyota Avensis T3-x 1.8 vvti 05 plate. with some searching through the forum and websites. I am still unclear with the t model numbers but belive it to be a t250 or shortened to t25 is this correct?

The Car has 76k miles on it drives really well and was always looked after when my uncle was alive, However  his other half used the car while he was in hospital and has curbed the alloys and got someone to check over the car before it came to me. However I have noticed a few issues with the car and would like some advice

I have noticed that the heat shield for the exhaust is missing will this be a dealer only part?

The plastic boot sections are cracked nd scuffed can these be replaced?

The engine bay should have covers on it i.e, one the left hand side, the front the Battery and one on the right ?? The ones on the right are attached but the front and the one for the left are lying in the boot with no fastners, Does the Battery have a cover? what are the fixings that are required?

The Battery retention bracket nuts and bolts are corroded, i found the part from Toyota on eBay just ask them for the fittings too? I believe the battery is meant to be a 60 amp battery ? the one that's in is 54 amp and seem to short ( low) for the retention bracket to hold securely?

The car is on 15 inch Toyota alloys that have been marked quite badly i was going to get them refurbed but was looking into getting the 16 or 17 inch avensis alloys, get these refurbed and swapped. Will changing to the bigger alloys cause an issues? I done a bit of research and it seems that any of t25 alloys will fit any of the engine sizes. their is an issue with one of the diesel alloys only being able to fit that?

The indicator in the down position (left) left wont auto cancel, new indicator stock??

i have the 3 keys 1 gray 2 black but the buttons on one are grubby faded and just really need changed is it possible?

The steering wheel is really dirty for some reason now it sort of flakes (was going to replace and might do if need to change indicator stalk) but if not whts the best way to clean it?

Thanks for any help

Scots Guy

It's a T25.  It sounds like you want to put it back to good condition, probably your best bet would be to find one in a breakers and buy the necessary parts.  Try (what used to be called) Watsons of Inverkeithing, or SCB (formerly Sports Car Breakers) at Newbridge.

The heat shield will almost definitely be a dealer only part.  The boot trim panels will swap fairly easily.  I can't remember if the Battery has a cover, but the rest of the trim pieces clip into place using the same clips which hold the other sections on.  I'd be a little more concerned with the reason why they were removed in the first instance, ie is there a fault with the car?  Running a thread chaser down the Battery bolts will probably un-seize them enough for you to lubricate the nuts and re-fit.  Not sure of Battery size but if it starts the car ok then find a wedge of some sort and fit it along with the loose bracket.  Some of the Avensis range had bigger brakes, and thus required bigger wheels.  Yours, however, won't have this problem so you should be able to fit any Avensis T25 alloys.  Bear in mind you need to play about with tyre dimensions so your speedo will be accurate, and you'll probably need to inform your insurance of your modification.  The indicator could be the stalk, or the ring behind the steering wheel.  You can buy replacement keyfob parts, but make sure you only swap the plastic bits, ie re-use the 'Gubbins' from your old one.  The leather on the steering wheel has tarnished, I'm pretty sure it can't be restored.  Disconnect the battery terminals before you remove the steering wheel, and re-use your existing airbag, and only reconnect the battery after everything has been re-fitted.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, alan333 said:

Some of the Avensis range had bigger brakes, and thus required bigger wheels.  Yours, however, won't have this problem so you should be able to fit any Avensis T25 alloys.

This is wrong. The 2.2 engined cars used a different PCD (5x114) from the other engines so alloys from a 2.2 will not fit on a 1.8.

Also, be aware that some 1.8 VVTis of that age can develop a problem with high oil consumption - it depends when yours was manufactured as I believe they cured it in production ~ mid-2005.

• Like 1

When I got my Mk3, I went on eBay and got trim fasteners. Search eBay and if you need to, put in your model to get the correct type.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2046448.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xtoyota+avensis+fasteners.TRS0&_nkw=toyota+avensis+fasteners&_sacat=0

Also Google picture search Avensis T25 engine bay and you should see what covers.

Here is a link to the parts for your car:

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2005/avensis/zzt251r-almekw/3_273550_054_223W/body/5304_front-fender-apron-dash-panel#58441H

Scott (Heidfirst) is correct. The 2.2 has a larger PCD (5x114), same as the Mk3. The rest of the Mk2 are (5x100).

Apparently you can buy parts for the key. Do some research -  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Button-Rubber-Pad-Toyota-remote/dp/B00D44EYZG

The buttons can be changed separately. Here is a video on how to change the Battery, which gives you an idea how to dismantle the key:

• Like 1

Thanks guys some realy helpful Info, The panels were taken off by somene my uncles partner had look at the car, The Battery was dead and one of the healligh bulbs were out. seemingly he was going back to put them on before i got the car but well

Sorry yes the panels were taken off due to a dead bulb and Battery, they were meant to be put back on before I got it but hey,

maybe just get another set of 15s and get them refurbed and switched not good at calculating full stop never tyre sizes etc ill try and clean the steering wheel see what happens

Apologies for my duff info above regarding wheel fitment :blush:, please disregard it and go with Heidfirst and Konrad's excellent and more knowledgeable advice.

Have you got a picture of your 15" alloy wheels, i thought they came with 16" as I own a t2(lowest trim) and it came with 16" steel wheels as standard

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have exact same wheels with 205 55 16 tyres are they 100% 15"

205/55/r15s that are on them 100%