Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to replace brake discs

kaliope

• 2 weeks later...

Great video mate, good work on this and the other threads. I don't bother with the brake disc retaining screw - its always a PITA to remove in my experience and don't bother refitting it.

Relying on luck to keep a safety critical component attached to the car and functioning?!

😂

There's no luck. Disc is held place by caliber and pads, furthermore with wheel bolts its held in place - where is it going to go? If you're worried about the disc becoming insecure, then I would suggest if the road wheel were to fall off, you've got bigger problems to contend with.

I've never come across a brake disc becoming insecure and leading to a hazard. However incorrectly torqued caliper or wheel bolts, are more of a concern.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the disc retaining bolt in my front left wheel is broken too. I haven't refitted it either. 

There's no question that the disc is held on by the wheel bolts and no chance of it falling off but it's a matter of professionalism. If you put your car into the dealers to have the brake discs replaced and then found out they had snapped one of the retainer screws and just fitted the new disc without repairing it you would not be happy. You might complain to one and all and take it back to have it "properly" repaired. So why would you want to work to less than a professional standard when working on the brakes yourself?

I stripped that retaining screw, but I went to Toyota and bought 2 screws to fix the discs to the hub. However, I've a Toyota Corolla that's on axle stands at the moment and one of the wheels is off it. I'm talking to someone and I hit the disc with my foot (as I can't be bothered to use my hands to point at the car) and I heard the disc clang. I looked at it and noticed it had no retaining bolts on it, just relying on the caliper and the wheel. I Googled it and on these Corolla's the brake discs don't have a screw on them, just the wheel and the caliper holding them on. I got to say I didn't notice any problems braking to be honest. But, if the experts at Toyota designed the Aygo to have brakes that use screws I'd be inclined to put screws on them.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links