Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent / Temporary power loss while driving

Revs

Hello all,

While driving on the dual carriageway my Corolla e12 D4D experienced a sudden loss in power - I was struggling to get over 50 mph with the acceleration pedal to the floor.

Additionally the car would ***** a couple of times , more noticeably when pulling away in the lower gears.

This occurred for about 15 minutes. But as I was struggling to make it up a hill in 2nd gear, suddenly the power came back and the car shot up the hill no problem. The car then responded normally for another 100 miles or so but now the power loss has occurred again!

No check engine light has come on and the water temperature has stayed normal.

Im thinking it could perhaps be fuel system related ? I had the fuel filter replaced about 10k miles ago.

Any ideas on this guys ? Any feedback is much appreciated :)

Jake

What fuel are you using? If running cheap supermarket fuel I would change immediately to super diesel either from Shell or BP.

Could be a gunked up EGR valve, turbo, MAF sensor etc...

Worth running a can of this stuff through the air intake, then taking it for a long spirited drive to blow all the crud out of the system:

Wynn's EGR3 Diesel Intake Cleaner

I usually go for standard fuel from Shell / BP rather than supermarket stuff. I'll try some of this intake cleaner and get some of the super fuel , or I can add in fuel system cleaner to the tank now.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll keep you updated.

I'm hoping it's not the injectors........ (touchwood)

Defiantly start with the good fuel as that's the easiest option and go from there with maybe something like Redex.

Added some Redex and some Shell Nitro. Drove around for a good 70 miles today , problem still remains :( . I've read up a lot on this forum about the possibility of it being sticky SCV's. Although it looks like they are integral to the fuel pump on my Coroll rather than being separate components shown in some videos and pictures I've seen on other D4D models. I may just be blind but I can't seem to find them :/

I have the 2 litre 1CD-FTV engine. Has anyone else experienced this problem? 

Edit : I'll investigate the components fordulike suggested also

* Update * The EGR valve was especially gunked up ! The valve was very sticky. I followed this very useful thread on how to clean it ( see attached ) . Took the car for a test run , ragged the **** out of it, power has stayed consistent. Will test on the motorway soon! 

* Update 2*

Driven car for a good week or so, no problems since! Hopefully this helps future readers.

Thanks guys for your responses