Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1981 touch up paint advice please!

smavin

Hi there

I need to order some touch up paint for my 1981 Toyota Hiace camper van. I know the colour code is 358 Orange but have no idea where to order the paint from or what kind I need to buy. I'm literally touching up small patches of rust-treated bodywork so a spray would be perfect. I had a little look online and got a bit flummoxed by talk of cellulose, base coat, metallic and lacquers. Help!

Thank you!

Sally

image1 copy.jpg

Hi Sally, nice old Hiace and in a cool colour too!

You could probably get a touch up pen from Halfords in a similar colour. 

I would personally go to a local bodyshop and ask them where they'd get the paint from. I remember going to Halfords for an older car and gave them the paint code etc, when the paint was applied it was a shade or two brighter than what was on the car. I only did like a 2cm sqaure piece with the paint and it was enough to ruin the look of the car. 

Problem you have is that the paint on the car has been exposed to 30+ years of good ol' British rain, and some sunshine. So it's going to have faded during that time. Your best bet is to get it as an aerosol, and lightly build up the paint so it blends in better.

There's a YouTube channel called MightyCarMods made by two lads from New Zealand, they're mad for doing mods to their cars etc. But there is this video they've done for spraying parts of the car to match it up to the rest of the car. The paint names may vary but the technique is the same: 

Also, I remember your last post and all the rust. I found this the other day researching how to deal with my Corolla's rust and this is a good process to apply to your car before you start painting:

I hope the car is going well besides the paint!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mickburkesnr said:

I would personally go to a local bodyshop and ask them where they'd get the paint from. I remember going to Halfords for an older car and gave them the paint code etc, when the paint was applied it was a shade or two brighter than what was on the car. I only did like a 2cm sqaure piece with the paint and it was enough to ruin the look of the car. 

Problem you have is that the paint on the car has been exposed to 30+ years of good ol' British rain, and some sunshine. So it's going to have faded during that time. Your best bet is to get it as an aerosol, and lightly build up the paint so it blends in better.

I hope the car is going well besides the paint!

This is brilliant - thank you so much for the advice! Starting doing some bodywork touchups and so far so good. I have a huge side door dent to tackle so that will be next. Very grateful for the support as I've never done anything like this before but willing to have a bash :)

S

Good job! I saw on Wheeler Dealers that there is a process where they weld little tabs to the panel that needs to get rid of the dent and they pull it out fairly easily. I don't think it's too expensive (Something like £100), it might be worth investigating that for your door if parts are hard to come by.

• 3 months later...

Hi there just bought my self a 1978 mk1 hiace Hilton motor home and im lookin for some window rubbers, i ĺive in bury  an seen your problems on your van if it not to far away ill be glad to look at your van and give u some advise i had a small garage for 20 years so i know a few things  ok  hope to see your van soon

Regards gary.

You can also get 2k cans, costs more, but the result lasts way longer than the 1k ones...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2016 at 9:31 PM, Burygraphics said:

Hi there just bought my self a 1978 mk1 hiace Hilton motor home and im lookin for some window rubbers, i ĺive in bury  an seen your problems on your van if it not to far away ill be glad to look at your van and give u some advise i had a small garage for 20 years so i know a few things  ok  hope to see your van soon

Regards gary.