Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Service

YarisHybrid2016

Hi,

I've had very nearly 10000 miles of trouble-free motoring, and now the Yaris is ready for her first service! :D

I'm a bit confused about why there are apparently 3 servicing options. Is there really any requirement to opt for more than a basic service?? I want to maintain my vehicle, but I equally don't want to pay for unneccesary work.

Toyota servicing is due every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. If one does 10,000 miles or less in a year, servicing is due on the time basis. If one does more than 10,000 miles in a year, servicing is due on the mileage basis.

The services are detailed on the following page - https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing.json

Intermediate services are due at year 1, 3, 5, etc or 10,000 miles, 30,000 miles, 50,000 miles, etc

Full services are required at years 2,4, 6 or 20,000 miles, 40,000 miles, 60,000 miles, etc.

At certain service intervals additional work may be required, and this is where the Full+ service may come in instead of the Full service. For example, depending on model, at 6 years/60,000 miles, valve clearances may need adjustment, spark plugs replaced, clutch fluid replaced, etc.

Additionally to the above, brake fluid should be changed every 2 years.

So your Yaris should be due its first Intermediate service at 1 year of age or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I want to maintain my vehicle, but I equally don't want to pay for unneccesary work.

In order to maintain your car for warranty, you will need to have the correct service schedule carried out at the correct time/mileage, which means having the full service every 20K. You do not need to have this done at a Toyota dealer, BUT you must keep all receipts and ensure the correct procedure is followed, oils used etc. The Toyota fixed price service promise is a competitively priced way of having your car maintained. You also get a free hybrid health check when the service is done at your dealer, something that wont happen at an independent garage   

• Like 1

@FROSTYBALLS: Excellent! Makes more sense now! Thank you!

@Parts-King: I'm still considering whether to go dealer or independent. I'd like to go independent, but with the hybrid health-check being an additional cost, overall it works out more expensive.

I know I would say this but............ I cannot see why anybody would risk their 5 year warranty, especially on a Hybrid, for only a small saving on dealer over independent costs. If you do go independent, make sure you compare apples with apples, IE, make sure correct oils and the like are used, I'm sure you will find the costs comparible

• Like 1