Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Orange Twist celebrates the 3 millionth Yaris built in France

FROSTYBALLS

I like that colour but not too sure about the all black interior.

I did once (1972) own a proper Beetle of a similar colour, "Clementine". It certainly stood out from the crowd!

I've seen that colour before.

bondbug01.jpg

One my teachers had one of those. Only time I ever saw one. I'm I showing my age now ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So have I ....

Outspan Mini.jpg

4 hours ago, Anthony Poli said:

One my teachers had one of those. Only time I ever saw one. I'm I showing my age now ;-)

I actually bought a Bond Bug new. I was young.

It was terrible. Sold it after 6-9 months.

Did reliant get the idea from the bug ?.

Maybe those turquoise invalid carriages lol

Tom Karen of Ogle Design designed the Bond Bug.

Also responsible for:

the Ogle Reliant GTS - which became the Reliant Scimitar GTE

and the Ogle Aston Martin DBS V8

ogle_gts_top.jpg

Reliant_Scimitar_GTE.JPG

astonogle-8.jpg

astonogle-1.jpg

The Bond Bug was nothing but a Reliant Robin with a different body. It was alleged Reliant bought out Bond because the Bond 875 was such a superior three-wheeler compared to the Reliant they feared it would put them out of business.

The Hillman Imp motor in the back of a three-wheeler weighing less than 8cwt certainly gave it some performance.

Actually it was based on the Reliant Regal - the Bug came out in 1970 and the Robin in 1973.

The Reliant engine was a modified version of the ohv engine from the Austin 7 (which Reliant used until it went out of production).

The Reliant van (RegalMk3) I once owned had a side valve engine, about 700cc, not ohv. Surely the Austin 7 didn't have an ohv engine?

From the Regal 3/25 Reliant used the ohv engine, before then the side valve. The engine was developed from the Austin 7 unit - not the Rootes engine used in the Imp, which itself was developed from a Coventry Climax fire pump engine.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

From the Regal 3/25 Reliant used the ohv engine, before then the side valve. The engine was developed from the Austin 7 unit - not the Rootes engine used in the Imp, which itself was developed from a Coventry Climax fire pump engine.

I remember them well, the side valve and the OHV in the Reliant, many a head gasket and valve job I did on them in me apprentice days.

The Coventry Climax engine was the Lady Godiva, one of the requirements for the fire service was that it had to be capable of being started with s starting handle. No mean feat for a high compression SOHC engine.

Parents had a couple of Imps - a Husky (estate) and a Super. The Husky came with a starting handle in the toolkit, but no dog to attach it to.

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Perhaps I didn't make it clear. The Imp engine (and running gear) was used in the back of the Bond 875 (not the Bond Bug): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bond_875

10 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Actually it was based on the Reliant Regal - the Bug came out in 1970 and the Robin in 1973.

Yep. It had all the quality and handling of the 'standard' Reliant ... but a lot less of the comfort :wacko:

It did attract the odd chat from motorcyclists as it was a bit more weather-proof than a bike (you can/could drive a three-wheeler on a motorbike licence), and it was and still is quite an attention grabber. But I'm afraid it really was an 'enthusiast' car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links