Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

a/c drain location

klcr

Hello all,

I own a 2007 1.4 D4-D Yaris.

There is a musty smell in the car which I think is coming from the a/c drain. Usually after a run with the a/c on a small puddle appears under the car that shows that the a/c is draining as it should. These puddles do not now appear which suggests that the drain is blocked.

Can somebody please tell me where the drain is so that I can clean it? Are there any how-to's?

2007 07 Reg 1.4 D-4D T-Spirit 5 Dr Silver 49K - SW & Dash.jpg

Cheers

Ken

Bear in mind there will only really be a puddle under the car if the air con has removed moisture, ie more apparent on hotter humid days.  First thing I'd check is the pollen filter, then maybe try one of those air conditioning cleaner kits.

Thanks Alan,

You may well be right, however, I'd still like to check the drain for my own peace of mind.

I've read on the internet that this (blocked drain) is a common problem with my particular Yaris model. So, can anyone tell me the drain's location?

Thanks

Ken

• 10 months later...
On 2016-7-8 at 7:14 PM, klcr said:

Thanks Alan,

You may well be right, however, I'd still like to check the drain for my own peace of mind.

I've read on the internet that this (blocked drain) is a common problem with my particular Yaris model. So, can anyone tell me the drain's location?

Thanks

Ken

I can, if you or anyone else are still interested.

Stan,

Thank you for your reply.

I was the original poster on this subject - and yes I am still interested, even after nearly a year from the original post date!. And yes I'm still getting the smell.

The car went in for service at Toyota's and they said they would clear it, but they haven't. So, please tell me where this drain is.

Thanks

Ken

if it is the same as mine you go straight in towards the centre of the car from the rear of the left wheel it should be in that area just before you get to the centre of the car 

2 hours ago, klcr said:

Stan,

Thank you for your reply.

I was the original poster on this subject - and yes I am still interested, even after nearly a year from the original post date!. And yes I'm still getting the smell.

The car went in for service at Toyota's and they said they would clear it, but they haven't. So, please tell me where this drain is.

Thanks

Ken

Hi Ken

The drain is situated in the passenger footwell, you can access this with the car mat removed and then by peeling back the carpet from the uppermost right hand corner in the footwell. This is best achieved with the passenger door fully open and by lying face down, once peeled back you will notice a black rubber pipe disappearing into the floor/bulkhead, unplug it from this point. You can then spray a dedicated disinfectant up into the system from there.

• Like 1

Mine has developed a "rotting vegetation" type smell that has become apparent in the warmer weather. Is that the smell you refer to? It soon clears and I don't notice it in use.

My floor mats certainly want cleaning but I'd be surprised if it was the source???

YarisHybrid2016,

I don't know about your particular model - mine is a 2007 1.4D4D - it may well be a similar layout, but I have no idea.

In my car the smell is definitely of a "rotting vegetation" type (I would guess it's caused by rotting leaves that have somehow got into the a/c system). Throughout the winter I use the a/c with my mode set on 'clear windscreen' with the heat turned up. If I don't set it like this the windscreen mists up. I get no smell when doing this.

It is only in the summer months when I set the a/c to 'Lo' (cold) that I get the smell. Like you it eventually clears but this can take quite some time. The point is I'd like to fix it once and for all, or find an easy way to service it as and when necessary.

I intend to check and see if I can find it as directed by stantheman and monkeydave (see above). I should then be able to poke out whatever is causing the smell and disinfect the area.

I'll get back and report if I find the drain.

Thanks to all

Ken

• Like 1

Ken, when you do get around to checking, first make sure that the pipe is not twisted or distorted in any way and also that the pointed tab is facing up, ie in the 12 o'clock position.I would give the pipe a gentle squeeze or three before unplugging it from the floor/bulkhead, that way you'll be able to feel if there's a blockage, you don't want anything being discharged into the cabin without warning. When done just make sure that the pointed tab on the end of the pipe faces up when reinstalled. The whole procedure should take no longer than 5 minutes start to finish. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, stantheman said:

Ken, when you do get around to checking, first make sure that the pipe is not twisted or distorted in any way and also that the pointed tab is facing up, ie in the 12 o'clock position.I would give the pipe a gentle squeeze or three before unplugging it from the floor/bulkhead, that way you'll be able to feel if there's a blockage, you don't want anything being discharged into the cabin without warning. When done just make sure that the pointed tab on the end of the pipe faces up when reinstalled. The whole procedure should take no longer than 5 minutes start to finish. Hope that helps.

Where is this pipe? Do you mean squeeze it before removing it?

@klcr : Hmm... mine runs in LO often, and it is only in this warmer weather it started to smell, particularly after using the car, and letting it sit for maybe an hour (middle of the day). In operation it doesn't smell. I only really noticed it after getting in but before switching on, as I open the windows to let the bulk of the warm air out the car.

1 hour ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Where is this pipe? Do you mean squeeze it before removing it?

@klcr : Hmm... mine runs in LO often, and it is only in this warmer weather it started to smell, particularly after using the car, and letting it sit for maybe an hour (middle of the day). In operation it doesn't smell. I only really noticed it after getting in but before switching on, as I open the windows to let the bulk of the warm air out the car.

Yes, give it a gentle squeeze before unplugging it from the floor/bulkhead. On the Mk2 Yaris the pipe runs from the bottom of the evaporator unit (from behind the center console) to the floor/bulkhead, you can't miss it if you peel back the carpet  R/H side of the passenger footwell.

• Like 1

Hi Stan,

I found the pipe and it was as you say in the top right corner of the passenger foot-well (this would be for right-hand drive cars).

I squeezed the pipe and didn't feel anything so I pulled it out of the bulkhead hole. I would say it's about a half an inch in diameter and about a foot long.

Now, I'm wondering about how and what to spray into this pipe. I think some kind of nice smelling or disinfectant type of liquid would do and hopefully get the air smelling sweet again. Anyone got any ideas on what product to I should use to accomplish this?

Cheers

Ken

• Like 1

Cheers Stan,

You say to spray into the air ducts - so I don't need to spray into the drain pipe?

Previously you said to " spray a dedicated disinfectant up into the system" - presumably into the evaporator unit (whatever that is) and it will then get circulated around the system? You then say to spray into the air ducts - these would be at face level and either side of the centre console? So the sprays on eBay you suggest will do both the drain area/evaporator and the ducts?

Thanks

Ken

Yes, I would do both the vents and up into the drain. Ken when you inspected the drain did the pipe smell at all?

Stan,

I didn't actually go up close to the pipe and sniff it, but from a foot away I didn't notice anything and there wasn't any liquid or debris in the pipe.

Anyway, I've ordered the K2 Pro rather than the Normfest Viro because it looks to have a longer spray-delivering tube which should reach in further through the vents and the drain pipe. So I'll get back to you on its efficacy.

Cheers and thanks for your help.

Ken

• Like 2

You're welcome and I'm already looking forward to the outcome!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links