Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 transmissions

eiriksmil

My Funcargo (Verso) transmission is possibly on its way out, it's making noise at least 

This is a chance for a potential upgrade. My question is, are the transmissions from a diesel geared differently than the gassers? Mine is a 1.3, at highway speeds (about 80 mph) the car is at 4k rpm which I think is crazy. If I can use a diesel trans to bring the revs down some that would be cool.

But this leaves another question, if there are any benefits of looking for a diesel box. Does anyone have info on axle lengths, number of splines and shaft sizes on gassers vs diesels? I.e does a diesel box require different axles for instance, or even hubs? 

Mine's doing 2500-2600 at 70mph, so I'd guess 80'd be 3000?

As the diesel is a different engine I suspect there will be a lot of minor if not major differences that will make a swap tricky.

It might be worth asking a transmission shop if it's possible to refurbish your current box but use higher ratio differential gears to give it longer legs.

The diesel develops torque much earlier in the rev range than the petrol, it also runs out of breath earlier.

I would've thought the diesel and petrol gearboxes were totally incompatible because of these differences, however, Toyota may have been clever and just changed the diff ratios.

Usually things like axle shaft diameters depend on how much power/torque is being distributed. With splines and lengths you could be lucky or not, depends on the manufacturer.

In the watercooled VW world essentially everything is LEGO, for my old Daihatsus nearly nothing fits between models. If someone has an engine and gearbox manual it should be listed there.

Oh and Cyker, that's good to know for sure! The 1.3 gasser is exact; +1k rpm in 5th equals +30kmh. 3k is 100 kmh (62mph), 4k is 130 kmh/~80 mph which is highway cruising speed around here.

• 1 month later...

Not actively working on this, but the ISB on my trans is dead (sounds like a bunch of marbles being thrown around inside a can if you wonder). For now I'm throwing in a stock trans from another gas car.

Having said that, I have made some observations and I also have some questions.

The Aisin C150 is the box in the 1.3 and 1.5 liter cars. However I saw C153 on a diesel trans listed at a yard, I tried searching around but I didn't get any wiser from that. However, the service manuals Cyker has seems to be for the 1ND-TV diesel car, and the 06 Manual Transaxle in the workshop manual is, drumroll, a C153. Now the breakthrough: I took down my old gearbox on Saturday having read the manual provided by Cyker, not realising it was for the diesel.

The rear motor mount and gearbox mount looks to be identical from the unbolting process; the clutch slave design looks identical; the starter motor bolts in the same way; the shifter cables look to be the same and (new drumroll), the whole design at least in the workshop manual looks to be identical with the C150 I have two of in the workshop.

The main question is drive shaft lenghts, spline size and also the input shaft size and splines. If the input shaft and number of splines is the same, it should be do-able to do a diesel swap. Of course if axles etc are different, one would need new axles, possibly new wheel hubs and then possibly other stuff.

For the diesel owners, does the diesel have an LSD? Wikipedia lists the C153 with LSD and that would just make it an even more interesting transmission :)