Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius 2016 Petrol Cost calculator

andreapenna

As my learning curve and my use of the car progress, I finally managed to reach the need to fill the tank for the first time (car has been delivered with tank filled from the dealer when I collected it).

Now, I have a problem :-)
I set the price per gallon based on £ per litre price at the pump: 1,139 £/L --> 5.17 £/Gal (as per google conversion).
But why, with an average of around 70mpg, the on board computer shows that I spent more than £10 for 54miles (I don't remenber the exact figures right now)?
As per my calculation it should show £3.99 as cost for those 54miles.

Anyone else noticed this?

The computer shows you how much you saved compared to the mpg you put in for the other vehicle.

Hi Kithmo,

yes, that is correct but if you don't put another MPG value as comparison, it should shows the actual cost.
BTW, I now added the older car mpg to compare and the save is "£0".... 

I think it will only calculate the saving going forward from the moment you entered the mpg of the older car, and not retrospectively.

6 hours ago, andreapenna said:

Hi Kithmo,

yes, that is correct but if you don't put another MPG value as comparison, it should shows the actual cost.
BTW, I now added the older car mpg to compare and the save is "£0".... 

Mine doesn't have the "FUEL  COST" display shown in the online owners manual, it only has the "SAVINGS" display, which shows the fuel saved in monetary terms (£).

1 hour ago, kithmo said:

Mine doesn't have the "FUEL  COST" display shown in the online owners manual, it only has the "SAVINGS" display, which shows the fuel saved in monetary terms (£).

This is covered on p141 of the manual:  

• if you enter an mpg figure for a different car in the "COMP. Consumption" option in the "Meter Customize" setting screen (p155) you get the "SAVINGS" display

• if no comparative mpg figure is entered, you get the "FUEL COST" display.
  • Like 2

Ok, thanks both; now I better understand how it works; so I'll have a more meaningful value in the next days.
And if I got it right, the £10 value was not Trip A cost but the saving. Great :-)

..but against what? Initially I didn't put a "Comparative consumption value"; according to the manual there are two options (both are referring to cost saving, so my expectation to see the per trip cost was wrong) but I don't understand what the "Fuel Cost" (the second option) uses as baseline to calculate the saving. See below extract from page 141.

“Eco Savings” (if equipped)

“Gasoline Price”*1 and “COMP. Consumption” information is registered in the “Meter Customize” settings (→P. 155), making it possible to display 2 types of information related to gasoline fuel consumption.
􀁘 “SAVINGS”
If information about the vehicle used to compare fuel consumption (“COMP. Consumption”) is entered, when the fuel consumption of this vehicle according to the mileage of the trip meter*2 is greater than that of the comparison vehicle, an estimation*3 of the amount of the fuel cost savings is displayed.
􀁘 “FUEL COST”
If information about the vehicle used to compare fuel consumption (“COMP. Consumption”) is not entered, an estimation*3 of the amount of fuel cost savings is displayed according to the mileage of the trip meter *2.

*1: “Gasoline Price” is information necessary to display the “SAVINGS” and “FUEL COST” records.
*2: The display can be switched from the mileage history to the history by month. (→P. 143)
*3: The displayed amount is only an estimate, and may differ from the actual amount.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PeteB said:

This is covered on p141 of the manual:  

• if you enter an mpg figure for a different car in the "COMP. Consumption" option in the "Meter Customize" setting screen (p155) you get the "SAVINGS" display

• if no comparative mpg figure is entered, you get the "FUEL COST" display.

That explains why I don't have the "FUEL COST" display, I already entered the mpg figure for the other car. 

• 7 months later...

I thought I would add to this post rather than create a new one.

Is it only possible to add a fuel cost once you have filled up with fuel?  I have been going round in circles trying to work out if I can add it since I got the car on Wednesday but so far I haven't been able to, although I thought I did one time then got distracted and couldn't remember where I saw it :biggrin:

I gather from the above posts that you cannot put in a ppl, but have to convert to price per gallon.

Thanks

Yes, it is per gallon. You can update the price anytime. It's via the screen next to the speedo, right set of steering wheel buttons.  Right most menu, one of bottom two items in list.  

Will be more specific next time I go to the car if that doesn't get you there.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Can anyone tell me how to remove the fuel saving 

I want to display the trip. Cost....

Thanks

On 7/13/2016 at 3:51 AM, andreapenna said:

Ok, thanks both; now I better understand how it works; so I'll have a more meaningful value in the next days.
And if I got it right, the £10 value was not Trip A cost but the saving. Great :-)

..but against what? Initially I didn't put a "Comparative consumption value"; according to the manual there are two options (both are referring to cost saving, so my expectation to see the per trip cost was wrong) but I don't understand what the "Fuel Cost" (the second option) uses as baseline to calculate the saving. See below extract from page 141.

“Eco Savings” (if equipped)

“Gasoline Price”*1 and “COMP. Consumption” information is registered in the “Meter Customize” settings (→P. 155), making it possible to display 2 types of information related to gasoline fuel consumption.
􀁘 “SAVINGS”
If information about the vehicle used to compare fuel consumption (“COMP. Consumption”) is entered, when the fuel consumption of this vehicle according to the mileage of the trip meter*2 is greater than that of the comparison vehicle, an estimation*3 of the amount of the fuel cost savings is displayed.
􀁘 “FUEL COST”
If information about the vehicle used to compare fuel consumption (“COMP. Consumption”) is not entered, an estimation*3 of the amount of fuel cost savings is displayed according to the mileage of the trip meter *2.

*1: “Gasoline Price” is information necessary to display the “SAVINGS” and “FUEL COST” records.
*2: The display can be switched from the mileage history to the history by month. (→P. 143)
*3: The displayed amount is only an estimate, and may differ from the actual amount.

Just tell me howw to remove savings ....so that I can get thhe trip cost

How to have display of trip cost instead of savings.

Thanks

I don't want to try it on mine as I don't want to mess up my savings records, but I suspect setting fuel cost to zero might do it...

Yes, I think that could be the key but I don't want to try as I dont want to mess with the records. Based on my mileage I'm around a saving of £80 per month.

So in 10 years, I have nearly saved half of the cost of the car... :-)

1 hour ago, andreapenna said:

Yes, I think that could be the key but I don't want to try as I dont want to mess with the records. Based on my mileage I'm around a saving of £80 per month.

So in 10 years, I have nearly saved half of the cost of the car... :-)

Not to mention maintenance savings, as brake overhauls are much rarer in these Hybrids and other things like spark plugs need much less frequent replacement.  Plus there's no traditional clutch, torque converter or gearbox to maintain.

My 2002 Gen 1 Prius (which I had for 9 years and sold with 163,000 on the clock) had only one set of new discs and pads.  My last Gen 3 was on target for the brakes to last about a quarter of a million miles when I sold it a four years old with 60,000 on the clock!

My gen3 prius saved me £2000 a year in fuel vs. my previous astra (and a fair bit in VED and servicing).

10 minutes ago, johalareewi said:

My gen3 prius saved me £2000 a year in fuel vs. my previous astra (and a fair bit in VED and servicing).

I don't go there much any more but I occasionally save the £11.50 London congestion charge too, as I've had a valid exemption on all of the Prius I've owned since 2002.

Once they move the goal posts and the car no longer qualifies, they've given me three years' grace each time (long enough that I've never been without the exemption), meaning for that period I didn't even have to pay the £10 annual registration fee.