Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Breaking in a new Aygo

Pytheas

I recently (28/6) got my hands on my new red Toyota Aygo X-Play Touch MMT and I was wondering how to treat it during the first kilometers/miles. I found the following information in the Aygo manual:

Breaking in your new Toyota: To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:

●For the first 300 km (200 miles): Avoid sudden stops.

●For the first 1000 km (600 miles): • Do not drive at extremely high speeds. • Avoid sudden acceleration. • Do not drive continuously in low gears. • Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods

Indeed, I decided to take it really smoothly and managed to avoid sudden stops / accelerations for the first 800 km as I mostly drove it in urban traffic and some parts of country road but reaching mostly 80 km/h and always under 3,000 RPM. The next 200 km took place in a highway (trip) but I also kept it under 110km/h and 3,500 RPM. Even though I have tried hard to follow the aforementioned guidelines, I am not sure if I broke in the engine correctly and if the first 1,000 km are sufficient for this purpose so I will try to extend it for at least 500 km more. In any case I am not an aggressive driver, so I don't think that it will have a problem.

So what are your experiences from breaking in the engine of your Aygo and how long did it last in your case?

my only other piece of advice is to ALWAYS put the car in N when you have come to a stop

i.e. in stationary traffic ,red traffic lights as the MMT has a manual gearbox & clutch

this will stop you burning the clutch out in 20,000 miles / 35,000km's approx

To be honest I didn't have to change my driving habits very much when I got my Aygo brand new. I don't always put it in N, only if I'm stopped for a long time like at road work traffic lights. Car is still fine and she's done over 20k miles now.

By their very nature sudden stops are ... well .. sudden. I can't honestly see me worrying about the longevity of the car if I need to make an emergency stop!

I could be less than generous and say all this care and kid glove handling of a new car is probably only going to show any detrimental efffects waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the line. For me at least, long after it has gone back at the end of lease period.

• Like 1