Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid - low squeal sound

unimark

Hi all. I've had my Yaris Hybrid for just under a month now, nearly 700 miles. I've just started to notice what I can only describe as a low squeal noise when I'm driving between 5-10mph and 15-20mph. I don't think it's done this before, as a first time car owner I'm noticing every little thing almost immediately (pride and joy and all that). 

The sound will only appear when I'm accelerating through those speeds, not when I take my foot off and never appears again once I go above 20mph. It does sound like a moving noise if that makes sense, kind of like when an old car has a bad fan belt but this is much much quieter. My passenger couldn't even hear it. 

Anybody have any thoughts? 

Rather than it being a squeal, you're likely hearing the motor/generator.

If the car is stationary and you enthusiastically pull off, the combination of motor and engine start-up sounds quite futuristic IMHO. :biggrin:

Another sound that is harder to hear, but you'll likely notice soon, is when you're travelling at 50-60* MPH and lift off the power and start regen braking, you can hear MG1 spin-up. The harder you regen brake, the higher pitch (higher RPM) it becomes.

* You can hear it at lower speeds, but it is more noticable at higher speeds as regen braking is more effective resulting in higher generator speeds.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep an ear out (so to speak) if the noise get louder. It's almost like a rubbing sound where it would need oil. But I can't tell if it's from the wheels or engine. 

I actually tried pulling away as smooth as possible as a test and could hear the familiar hum of the electric motor but then on top of that was this new squeal sound. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links