Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Very lumpy running

Bluekingfisher2

Hi have a 2004 rav petrol with 182k miles its just starting to run rough.more when cold.any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the club Graham. I would first suggest you check the air filter element if it has not been changed recently as this can caused the same effect as the choke being " on" a petrol engine. You can try this by removing the air filter when the engine is running rough and see if it smooths out any

Del

• Like 1

As above... but also how long since the spark plugs were changed, flaky distributor leads can also cause problems.  Is the vehicle due for a service?  Obviously it could be several different things... might even pay to attach an OBD2 engine scanner gizmo and see if any error codes pop up.  Some garages will do this for free for you if you don't possess one... in the hope they may get some paid work out of checking the fault for you.  Good luck... let us know the out-come ^

5 hours ago, ffej said:

Fuel filter ?

Hi many thanks will get this changed is it an easy fix please

5 hours ago, crofter said:

Welcome to the club Graham. I would first suggest you check the air filter element if it has not been changed recently as this can caused the same effect as the choke being " on" a petrol engine. You can try this by removing the air filter when the engine is running rough and see if it smooths out any

Del

Hi many thanks for your reply.I have changed plugs and air-cooled when I did a mini service last week.

12 minutes ago, daveh_rav4 said:

As above... but also how long since the spark plugs were changed, flaky distributor leads can also cause problems.  Is the vehicle due for a service?  Obviously it could be several different things... might even pay to attach an OBD2 engine scanner gizmo and see if any error codes pop up.  Some garages will do this for free for you if you don't possess one... in the hope they may get some paid work out of checking the fault for you.  Good luck... let us know the out-come ^

Thanks I think next thing is to change leads

What make of spark plugs did you fit to the engine? Using the wrong plugs is a well known cause of rough running on Toyota engines. Check your handbook for the correct make/type.

54 minutes ago, TomdeGuerre said:

What make of spark plugs did you fit to the engine? Using the wrong plugs is a well known cause of rough running on Toyota engines. Check your handbook for the correct make/type.

Thanks yes checks this and have fitted the correct sensor plugs

Just now, Bluekingfisher2 said:

Thanks yes checks this and have fitted the correct sensor plugs

Denso

180 on the clock could be low compression on one or more cylinder .hope you get a fix soon 

10 minutes ago, ffej said:

180 on the clock could be low compression on one or more cylinder .hope you get a fix soon 

Many thanks will get this checked

Update on problem.fitted coil packs this had no effect.Was ready on the net about pcv valves so new one fitted today and that's wat it was.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links