Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV4 D-4D fuel filler neck pipe fitting

Nanababka

Hello everyone

Sorry to be joining and picking your brains straight away but know how brilliant forums (should that be fora?) can be.

I've got a fuel leak on my 2007 RAV4 and the reason is bad corrosion of the wide diameter fuel pipe as it travels down from the passenger side rear wheel arch - the leak is on the elbow at its lowest point. I've sourced a replacement part 77201-42150 and have a really skilful and willing son-in-law happy to replace it - my question is, is that feasible using ramps? My dealer has of course quoted a horrendous price - almost three times the cost of the part and mentioned it 'may be necessary to drop the fuel tank'. Your opinions on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in anticipation

Bothwell Buyer advised some time ago that it can be done DIY as a repair but the same procedure would apply to replacement:

"The filler bit at the top comes out quite easily - however I don't think thats where your trouble will be. If you jack the rear of the car up - ideally with a decent jack or/and use an axle stand, remove the rear nearside wheel. Then you will see and have easy access to the plastic channeling which covers the petrol filler pipe - going from the filler cap down to the tank. Running alongside this is the smaller diameter breather tube also going down to the tank from the filler cap unit.

First, have a look at the connection up inside the wheel arch going onto the petrol filler bit. However I bet that the breather pipe is corroded and thats where the petrol smell and leakage is happening........... Take the plastic channeling off- try some wd40 or the likes first on the fixings. From memory, I think theres 4 or 5 fixings. Once this is off, you can inspect the petrol filler and breather pipe. Mine was covered in mud and muck and I had to clean the piupes off before I saw the corroded breather pipe. The filler pipe was well corroded half way down as well.

At this, I had the option of paying a fair bit for new Toyota parts - I chose to replace both pipes by piecing in reinforced petrol plastic tubing. I bought hose for the breather from D-tweeks and I bought larger diameter plastic hose suitable for petrol from a local branch of a national hose supply company. As I found out, I could have bought all the hose from them cheaper. And it was cheap. The larger diameter hose I had to shape to fit.... what I did was to clean off the original corroded large diameter filler pipe (which didn't leak ) then I slid the new plastic hose over it by heating the hose to soften the plastic. I used jubilee clips.

On the breather, this pipe was so far gone that I replaced it all with reinforced plastic hose. You need to make sure you get hose suitable for petrol.

The plastic 'guard' in the wheelarch is not sealed to the arch hence the ingress of muck/salt/water. A tip before you start would be to hose down/pressure wash inside the wheel arch to remove muck and make the job a bit cleaner. The cost of the filler pipes repair??? Less than £30.

• Like 1

Hi I have changed a few and the problem I have experienced is the mounting points for the plastic cover they will be badly corroded but if you are fitting a new pipe all will be well, I have fitted a couple of second hand pipes and re-fitted the cover using large tywraps, and a few I have cut out the pipe and fitted rubber tube in-line, but the job is not difficult, But I suggest a good dose of waxoyl on the tank and all connections etc. while it's stripped down, like I said previously this is going to be a big issue, All RAV4's circa this date are going to be affected.

• Like 1

Thanks to TomdeGuerre and the fox - much appreciated. Picking up the part this afternoon: will organise decent jack / axle stands as you advise - and thanks for the waxoyl tip! Will let you know how it goes :smile:

Just a quickie hope you got your pipe, have a look at the small connection just forward of the rear wheel, it consists of a plastic convoluted pipe this stops stones etc. from hitting the pipe underneath, give it a good clean and again get some waxoyl in-between the metal pipe and plastic one.... 

• 5 years later...

Hi there, I’ve got a rav4 2006 mk3. As I’ve researched now a similar problem, fuel filler pipe corroded. If I get a part myself, is it an easy job to DIY? Fairly confident doing it but would be great if someone has a video. Can’t seem to find a decent one of the year 2006. Cheers Steve