Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Detailing

YarisHybrid2016

Hi,

If this isn't the right area of the forum for this, then please move it.

I have a couple of questions:

1) What do people use to remove insect splatter from painted surfaces (door mirrors, front bumper, etc.)? Washing is insufficient.

2) This one is bugging me quite significantly: at some point I have driven through something that I can only describe as having the consistency of cement (based on how it looks on the car). I have no idea where/when this occurred, as I only drive on the road (not on building sites) and I don't ever remember seeing anything that even vaguely resembled building works or road works around the time I first noticed it. It has stuck to the paintwork on the left side like I had driven through a puddle at speed, and splashed accordingly down the left side. It is worst at the bottom edge of the front left wheel arch, and around the lower forward side of the front passenger door.

Some of it has come off with washing, but it has destroyed a sponge in attempting to wash it off, and is so hard/sharp that when I caught my fingers on it I thought I was dragging them across coubik (huh? c-o-a-r-s-e) sandpaper!

Needless to say, I want to remove it, but I'm also concerned about what it might have done/is doing to the underlying paintwork. It is bad enough that if it takes the paint off with it, then it will require a re-spray of at least the door!! :sad:

I'll post some photos later today of whatever it is stuck to it.

12 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

...coubik (huh? c-o-a-r-s-e) sandpaper!

Needless to say, I want to remove it, but I'm also concerned about what it might have done/is doing to the underlying paintwork. It is bad enough that if it takes the paint off with it, then it will require a re-spray of at least the door!! :sad:

The "coubik" thing must be to do with the site - I've had that too (and changed it to "rough"!)

Slightly different, but my first (2002) Prius was splashed all over with hot tar when a lorry dripping the stuff passed in front of me - the whole car was covered in hundreds, maybe thousands of splashes.  I, too, feared a respray may be the end result, but I went straight into my local dealer and asked if their valet people had any tricks of the trade to deal with it.  I don't know what they did, but half an hour later they presented the car in showroom condition, and said there was no charge (I gave them all a drink, of course).

@FROSTYBALLS: Thanks!

@PeteB: Great! My car is imminenty due a service so I'll ask them about it.

I find the waterless Wash & Shine products work very well on bugs and tar, spray a bit on rub it in with a finger and wipe off, repeat as necessary. I don't think it'll work on cement but there are products that remove cement splashes from house windows that can be used on cars. If you get a non-acidic environmentally friendly biodegradable one like, Easy Clean Concrete remover, it can be used on car paintwork without harm. 

• Like 1

I too can second Kitmo's TripleWax Waterless Wash & Shine, (but maybe not for a weak concrete mix)

Bought it in Wilko's  for £1 a litre as a very special offer, with no expectations, but then went back and bought 2 more!.....it works very well on no metallic white and shows no swirls even when the surface looks like it really needs a wash first (lazy, or what?)....just use with a microfibre and wash it out afterwards

Job done

To the OP - has the car ever had Supagard (or similar) applied? If so, do they not offer some kind of warranty/follow-up check/advice or any help at all?

2 hours ago, kithmo said:

Your link seems to go to Amazon USA, $96 

Goes to Amazon UK for me, £18.68.

Same thing from a seller on eBay, £17.25.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links