Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake replacement and first gear/start behaviour

Shimonu

So I've got a couple of points I wanna query you great folks about.

I've read that when replacing the rear brake pads there may be an issue with the EPB where you may lose the hill start aid or what you may call it if not done correctly. is there a need for some electronic tool when changing the rear brake pads?

For this issue you should probably know the car is nearing 150k km / 240k miles. It's an -09 2.0 petrol.

I've had this issue when I get rolling sometimes where the car will start sort of jerking forward, kind of like the clutch is slipping and regaining grip. I haven't figured out the exact circumstances around when it happens and it may just be me not handling the clutch correctly but it's nothing I've experienced from other cars. It doesn't happen if I start softly and there isn't any issue if I get rolling and then just give full throttle in first gear. So there doesn't appear to be wear on the clutch to make it slip or have warped plates. Doesn't matter if the engine has reached operating temperature or not. I wanna say it happens if I release the clutch a bit "too much" and then throttle to try and get a quick start. Could it be that simple?

Looking forward to your thoughts and I'll try to answer any questions as best I can.

When I had the rear brakes replaced, a few things you need to have and do. First and most obvious is leave the EPB off. Next you need a caliper piston wind back tool kit that works in reverse for the left hand brake. You don't need any reset diagnostic tools. 

See the following posts which include my experience:

So long as nothing is seized, this should be a straight forward job. 

Regarding the clutch switch setting/biting point, it could be a number of things - the distance the car has done, wear and tear, your driving style, your position to the pedals, and even footwear! 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links