Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I have a few questions?

Kuneha

Hey there.

I checked to see if there are any recalls on my 2010 IQ on the Toyota website and it said that there is. I called and booked it in and asked what the recall was for. They said it was for the exhaust manifold and that the car is going to need to be left at the dealership for the whole day.

Now coincidentally, I am having the typical EGR valve issues as the car is so slow to move off sometimes (scary when it happens) but I didn't think this was a recall issue. Is there another issue with the exhaust manifold that is a separate issue from the EGR problem?

Also, after going around or over 50mph (for a short while) or giving the car a bit of beans (it's the CVT) the gearbox whines like a child. The CVT oil hasn't been changed to my knowledge and the car has 42K miles. Is this a normal phenomenon for it to make this noise or does the CVT oil definitely need changed? The noise is heard over the engine so it's at quite a volume once the oil or gearbox gets warm/hot.

Thanks!

The exhaust manifold issue isn't an official recall, which would be for safety related issues. Instead it is a customer service campaign that Toyota is using to rectify the exhaust manifold issue on affected models.

See: 

If you look at Devon Aygo's post of the 17th May within the above thread, you will see that the supposed EGR problems that some people have had is actually down to this exhaust manifold issue.

So this is good news, after Toyota denied the problem for 7 years. I called the nearest dealership earlier today for a trade-in quote, and they were not interested as the car has 'power loss'. Then I went home and found the free recall... so I went back and told them to fix it for free :D

39 minutes ago, maartenvanheek said:

So this is good news, after Toyota denied the problem for 7 years. I called the nearest dealership earlier today for a trade-in quote, and they were not interested as the car has 'power loss'. Then I went home and found the free recall... so I went back and told them to fix it for free :D

That's OK if yours is within the affected vehicle range .....

• 1 month later...

For anyone who's interested...

I had the recall done. I was given a new Yaris as a courtesy car, a CVT surprisingly. They have improved the CVT a lot since the IQ. Either that or mine is getting a bit tired.

The car drives better. No more slow take offs and I'm sure my MPG has gone up. I've never managed above 42MPG in town but surprisingly managed 52MPG recently and 67MPG on the motorway.

As for the CVT whine, I'm not sure how many of you are experiencing this issue but I'm at 42k miles and the whining was horrendous on anything above 50mph after xyz amount of time.

I changed the CVT oil with the genuine Toyota CVT FE oil (£49 inc VAT) and the noise has disappeared. The gearbox has become silent in operation and is much smoother.

The oil I took out had a congealed blood colour and lacked that typical gearbox oil smell, I imagine after all the heat cycles it simply worn out; no different to engine oil. The oil I put in had that classic gearbox smell and was a tasty red wine colour. The improvement was immediate.

If your CVT is around 40K or so miles, or in fact higher and you've no record of it being changed, then I would recommend you have this done ASAP. 

Thanks for reading.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links