Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dipsticks!

Countrylad

No, not you guys. :biggrin: I'm thinking of whoever it was that designed the dipstick in my 1.6 VVTI engine (2014 64 reg). I can't get a clean oil level reading, no matter what I do, or no matter how many times I wipe the stick beforehand.

For those that don't know this engine, the stick on the 1.6 petrol is a slim and flexible steel blade that goes into what seems to be an S-shaped pipe. So the mere action of removing it means that the stick gets fouled (by the S-bend) before it's even halfway out of the engine block. Hopeless trying to see where the oil ends and the fresh air begins, because the zone in between is all messed up with oil that comes from other places.

I had to take a running guess in the end - added a smidge of oil and crossed my fingers. I don't suppose I'm the first person to have had this issue. But at present I'm running on clean oil that's the colour of honey. Maybe it gets easier when the oil gets dirty?

At least you can add oil. The oil filler cap on the 1.33 can be so tight, its impossible to undo without resorting to a wrench or similar.

Similar issue with my 2.0 auris tr. The bottom of the dipstick has oil all over it but there is always a slight solid line on one side, you may just need to look closely. It will be obvious if you overfill it however because the whole bottom of the dipstick will be above the crosshatch.

Edit: It is definitely easier when the oil has darkened so you will have to check quickly

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links