Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hilux alarm system and keys

Dan mason

Hi everyone.my first post here!

yesterday I collected my 2013 hilux invincible (16000 miles) and until I got home I didn't realise the remote central locking doesn't lock the tailgate! This isn't a major issue but the key I use to start the truck doesn't fit the tailgate lock properly and won't lock or unlock it.

so I went for the spare key (with remote locking) and this works fine on the tailgate and locks all doors remotely,but it won't start the truck? Starter motor spins but won't fire and immobiliser light doesn't go out? 

Is there any way to code this key to start the truck ?

also my alarm doesn't seem to activate when locked.the doors lock but there is no beep/horn etc.

ive tried locking the door with one open and I get 10 beeps on lock-in and 5 when unlocked,but the alarm doesn't activate? Is this something the dealer can sort under warranty? 

Thanks everyone and sorry for rambling on!

Would have thought the dealer should have spent some time when you collected the vehicle going through the operation of the various elements.

Go back to the dealer - they should sort the key operations out.

Thanks.i bought it from a non Toyota dealer.but went to the car,unlocked it via the fob,checked everything was unlocked etc (including tailgate)  locked it up and assumed the tailgate was locked. I should have perhaps checked it,realised it wasn't locked then tried the key! If I had I'd have noticed it didn't fit in the lock properly.

the only thing is the dealer was 100 miles away so it's a long way to travel if my local dealer could do it under warranty.

thanks again

Makes wonder if the tailgate lock has been changed.

It's possible.although the spare key fits it,as well as all the other locks perfectly. It just doesn't seem to de activate the immobiliser

On 7/24/2016 at 7:05 PM, Dan mason said:

Hi everyone.my first post here!

yesterday I collected my 2013 hilux invincible (16000 miles) and until I got home I didn't realise the remote central locking doesn't lock the tailgate! This isn't a major issue but the key I use to start the truck doesn't fit the tailgate lock properly and won't lock or unlock it.

so I went for the spare key (with remote locking) and this works fine on the tailgate and locks all doors remotely,but it won't start the truck? Starter motor spins but won't fire and immobiliser light doesn't go out? 

Is there any way to code this key to start the truck ?

also my alarm doesn't seem to activate when locked.the doors lock but there is no beep/horn etc.

ive tried locking the door with one open and I get 10 beeps on lock-in and 5 when unlocked,but the alarm doesn't activate? Is this something the dealer can sort under warranty? 

Thanks everyone and sorry for rambling on!

The tail gate doesn't have central locking it can only be locked/unlocked manually and the alarm when setting/locking the car doesn't make any noise nor will it set if you try to lock the car with a door open you will just get warning beeps. If you want to test it shut all the doors and bonnet lock the car remotely with the key remote and wait approx 60 seconds then manually unlock the door with the key the alarm should go off as soon as you open the door.

Cheers.ive managed to find out the alarm system is ok.

im not bothered that the tailgate isn't central locking but I currently have to carry both sets of keys with me as one will start the truck/de activate the immobiliser but won't unlock the tailgate. The other key will unlock the tailgate but not start the truck.

if I can code the key which works all the locks to start the truck ,I can use that key.and can live with the fact the spare won't unlock the tailgate