Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

VSC, 4WD warnings and engine warning light on but after checking the cable or a car wash all is fine..

abird1@bechtel.com

Hi folks,

My son has a Rav 4 Diesel T180 2006, this vehicle has been to two different Toyota dealerships now and the problem has not been fixed..

The problem is that when the vehicle is started the the engine warning light is illuminated and then there are two subsequent Warnings VSC followed by 4WD.

The best part is that I took the vehicle for a car wash and it ran perfectly normally no warnings nothing! After several hours standing in the heat of the day I started it again and like magic the lights were back!

I tried unplugging the the two connectors and blowing them out with a high pressure hose in case there was something obstructing the connection, again the vehicle was 100% for a few miles then up they came.. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated many thanks

AB

Hi you really need a cheap code reader, but it's generally the EGR valve sticking, the problem is you should only get one light when you have a fault, not the usual suspects of what you got, I believe Toyota have a fix which involves just up-dating the software which should be done when the vehicle is serviced by Toyota "FREE"... but obviously it's not being done. if can be a bit alarming when you get all those warnings. But a cheap code reader will work. You can disconnect the Battery for a few mins this will normally delete the codes.... Then if the warnings reappear after running, try cleaning the EGR valve very easy. Or get the fault code.... 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, the fox said:

Hi you really need a cheap code reader, but it's generally the EGR valve sticking, the problem is you should only get one light when you have a fault, not the usual suspects of what you got, I believe Toyota have a fix which involves just up-dating the software which should be done when the vehicle is serviced by Toyota "FREE"... but obviously it's not being done. if can be a bit alarming when you get all those warnings. But a cheap code reader will work. You can disconnect the battery for a few mins this will normally delete the codes.... Then if the warnings reappear after running, try cleaning the EGR valve very easy. Or get the fault code.... 

Many thanks 'Fox' I will give this a go today.

Great stuff very easy to locate and clean, I blank the EGR valve off once it's cleaned, it's bit worrying when you get a few lights coming on, you should only get the engine management light if the software was correct, but I'm concern many owners see  VSC and Check 4WD when i'ts an emission problem, it first happened to me when I had just steam cleaned my RAV4 after winter to remove winter salt, I thought I had sprayed water into the electrics...and it makes you want to go to the nearest Toyota Garage... but if you had only an emission light you may try an independent garage,, only my opinion...

Hi sorry for the late post and it might be totally irrelevant but we had a problem with the connection under the passenger seat. This was bringing the check air bag warning light on but also the VSC light and check ABS warning. Why would the ABS and VSC have anything to do with the airbag? Anyway we noticed it was every time we were sliding the seat back and forth to get a car seat in. We pushed the connector in more and all three warnings went off. 

Yep you are right it doesn't, it's the rubbish software, Toyota knew of this problem very early on circa 2007. I had complained about that time my wifes 2006 models warnings all came on, and I was told by Toyota UK they had a fix and the next time the RAV4 went in for a service/repair etc. The new software would be loaded for free, it was serviced in 2008 and new software loaded thinks it's 001 version... But my argument is all Toyota's with this problem should be re-called and all have the new software loaded.. It's a bit worrying when you get all the lights/warnings just when you have an emission fault. why would you have check VSC/4WD. But like I previously stated it would have you going to your nearest Toyota dealer when it may be something really simple... I'm surprised that when you plugged the connector in the Airbag light went out it generally stops on until it's re-set.........   

Thanks for the info. When the airbag warning would come on, it would stay on until we turned the ignition off. The next time we turned it on, the fault would be clear. I never pulled the connector out fully though so that might be why it never needed resetting.

With all those warnings on, we did indeed take it to the Toyota garage the first time.   They said it was the rear passenger wheel  sensor and charged us accordingly. After swopping it, it was still happening and I found that it did so whenever we had moved the seat back. It still does it a few times a year but I know what it is now. 

Your right the only bill I ever begrudge paying is that abs sensor because I will never know if it was actually needed or not.

I can only suggest when you next visit the Toyota dealer ask them to load the new software... If you Google something like Toyota service bulletin sheet for software for your model etc. you should find the info. I had it all but binned it when the wife sold her RAV4 but I have read that the dealer should up-load the new software FREE whenever your vehicle is in the dealer for service or repair... But I don't know any other make of Vehicle that throws up warnings not related to the fault... And I have worked on plenty.... Glad you are now sorted? you just have to blank your EGR valve and you may get many more miles of trouble free motoring... Just had dinner with the wife and mentioned your post, she seems to remember that in America they had to re-call Toyota's with this software problem i.e. Warnings coming on that did not represent the fault. us in the UK had to live with it... And Toyota customers are still taking their vehicles to dealers thinking something very serious is wrong with their Toyota.. not good enough.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links