Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2009 Avensis T4 - what do I need to know?!

AvensisPaz

Hello!

So here's my first post. I just bought a 2009 2.0 Avensis T4 D-4D with 78K (1 owner with history)  .. is there anything I need to know and watch out for? I have done 400 miles in it this week and she seems fine. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hi Paz & welcome :smile:

They are generally very reliable but can suffer from the general things that may afflict any modern common rail turbo-diesel depending upon usage.

Specific things:

You will probably have discovered by now that the 6-speed box can be a bit obstructive into 2nd until warmed up.

depending upon exact manufacture date there is a small chance of potential head/head gasket problems. If manufactured after February 2009 this potential is supposed to have been fixed in production.

There have been a few EPB actuator failures (generally caused by water ingress).

There have been a few exhibiting cracking in the door by the restrictor (think that these have always been front doors). Toyota seem to have generally covered this under warranty.

Worth considering - there is currently a "2 years for the price of 1" offer on Toyota's Extended Warranty iirc for an  Avensis this is just over £500. This also includes 2 years of Toyota Roadside Assistance (currently handled by the AA) which is ~£74 p.a. on it's own. You can take this out until the car is 10 but it may also be subject to the car's maintenance history. If you do take this out you have to have the car serviced at a Toyota dealer not an independent to keep it valid.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply Scott, very helpful!

- so no probs with 2nd gear. And mine is registered as of July 2007, so hopefully non of that head gasket trouble?!

The EPB is a worry! I will look online for info on the water ingress issue! As for the cracking, I guess you mean a sound? Or actual cracks? I will look around online for that too. I 'won' the car in an auction, I have no warranty.. however as mentioned having done 400 miles or so things seem ok.

One thing is bothering me and that is the seating position - no matter what configuration the seat is positioned in, I feel it is just not quite good enough. My legs seem to be at a angle and maybe causing some lower back issues .. hmm

In the main it is amazing though .. a smooth tank with 6speed, cruise leather seats and loads of tech. Probably the best car I have had in 33 yrs driving and owning 13 (used) cars in that time  :-)

1 hour ago, AvensisPaz said:

And mine is registered as of July 2007, so hopefully non of that head gasket trouble?!

Hopefully you meant 2009, not 2007. Date of manufacture & date of registration can vary considerably.

The EPB is a worry! I will look online for info on the water ingress issue!

It has happened but seemingly not very often & apparently less often than on e.g. VAG cars. It is expensive to replace though (£1000+).

As for the cracking, I guess you mean a sound? Or actual cracks? I will look around online for that too.

Actual cracks. I suspect that this forum is probably going to be your best aggregator/source of info for both the EPB & door issue.

One thing is bothering me and that is the seating position - no matter what configuration the seat is positioned in, I feel it is just not quite good enough. My legs seem to be at a angle and maybe causing some lower back issues .. hmm

Seating can be very personal & what suits one may be terrible for another.

• Like 1

oops, yes I meant 2009! And I will definitely look around on this forum. Thanks again Scott!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links