Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo - Rear Tyre Delfation

Tomos88

Hi

I am looking for some advice regarding a problem i have had since the start of the year with my 2010 Aygo Go.

Around Christmas time, i required 3 tyres on my car to be changed.  At the garage, they done an offer on 4 tyres and offered to change the one outstanding tyre at a later date free of charge when it was required.  I am unsure prior to the garage doing the tyres, if the tyre i am about to discuss was on the rear passenger, of if the garage moved it from the front of the vehicle when putting on the 3 new ones.

Before having these changed, i had no issues regarding tyre deflation.  In mid-January (so about 3 weeks after a different garage had changed the tyres) i had my MOT, and the garage commented that the rear passenger tyre was rather deflated (about 15 PSI), they placed air into the tyre.  Over the course of the next 8-10 weeks, i made regular visits to the local supermarket to top up the air, all the tyres had dropped approx 1 PSI bar the rear passenger that was continually down to about 15-18 PSI.  I eventually decided, despite the tread being fine, to get the rear tyre switched to the new one i still had, thinking it might have been a puncture. 

Since getting this changed, i have still had the same issue.  Every 2 weeks - 3 weeks i am popping to the supermarket to top up the air in that one tyre.  Given i have changed the tyre, is there anyone who could possibly offer a suggestion on why this is happening?  Given i have changed the tyre, it clearly isnt a case of a puncture (either that or i am very unfortunate and had 2 punctures in a short space of time on rear passenger tyre. 

I am hoping to take the car to the garage over the next 3-4 weeks but thought it was worth a punt here first if anyone has had any experience of a similar scenario?

Thank You

hi

did the tyre shop change the valve or at least the valve core as these could be your problem

do you have alloy wheels ??? if you have there maybe corrosion around the rim where the tyre seals.

the tyre fitter should off cleaned around here before fitting the tyre.

• Like 2

Get them to dunk it in a tyre bath to see where the air is leaking from?

• Like 2

I doubt whether the original garage would have moved the 'old' tyre to the rear, as it has been recommended industry practise, where two new tyres are fitted, to have these fitted to the rear of the car.

"Given i have changed the tyre, it clearly isnt a case of a puncture (either that or i am very unfortunate and had 2 punctures in a short space of time on rear passenger tyre."

The fact you've had the tyre replaced, doesn't negate the possibility of a puncture, albeit a slow puncture.

Have the tyre properly checked for either a puncture or poor seal.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, eygo said:

hi

did the tyre shop change the valve or at least the valve core as these could be your problem

do you have alloy wheels ??? if you have there maybe corrosion around the rim where the tyre seals.

the tyre fitter should off cleaned around here before fitting the tyre.

Yes, any one of these can cause that kind of thing. I also have a valve key in the car just for good measure.

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies, i can confirm i do have the alloys on the car, i honestly have no idea about the valve/valve core - i will note this mind and ask when take it in - cars are not my forte so this would not have even occurred to me.

In response to Frostyballs i have not ruled out that both tyres could have had a puncture, however it does seem a coincidence that within very quick succession iv had the same issue on two tyres (one brand new and one which had only done 3/4k miles) both on the same location of the car - perhaps i have just hit a bad bit of luck and had two slow punctures mind.

I had just wondered if it was a something someone else had encountered, but as highlighted then there is clearly more than one factor that could be causing this.

22 minutes ago, Tomos88 said:

Thank you for the replies, i can confirm i do have the alloys on the car, i honestly have no idea about the valve/valve core - i will note this mind and ask when take it in - cars are not my forte so this would not have even occurred to me.

In response to Frostyballs i have not ruled out that both tyres could have had a puncture, however it does seem a coincidence that within very quick succession iv had the same issue on two tyres (one brand new and one which had only done 3/4k miles) both on the same location of the car - perhaps i have just hit a bad bit of luck and had two slow punctures mind.

I had just wondered if it was a something someone else had encountered, but as highlighted then there is clearly more than one factor that could be causing this.

Successive punctures can happen. My old man had a Mercedes E270 and in one week he had 3 punctures - 2 in the same tyre in different locations.

When you take it in I wouldn't mention anything to them, just say it's deflating. They'll then apply water to seals or then in to a tyre bath. This will indicate whether the seal hasn't sealed properly or whether a valve is defective. But watch them do it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links