Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2016 2lt d4d stop start/disable permantly ?

edgee

Is there a way to permanently disable Stop/start

i can press the "A" button and it stops it for the duration of that drive or till key is removed and start new journey ....

i have tried holding button for long time but still the same !

i find it really annoying 

can't see why putting that much pressure of 

start / stop over the lifetime on the starter motor can be healthy or for the Battery on a biggish engine like  a 2lt

As far as I'm aware the Toyota system can only be disabled for indiviudual journeys. 

Presumably you've checked what info the full owners manual gives.....

.... and does your profile need changing from the 2005 Avensis !!!

8 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware the Toyota system can only be disabled for indiviudual journeys. 

Presumably you've checked what info the full owners manual gives.....

.... and does your profile need changing from the 2005 Avensis !!!

Well this is going to be annoying to say the least !!

maybe it can be changed by Toyota ?

DOh!

actually still driving the 2005 till I do full changeover to 2015/16 model in next few weeks

then I will be

Avensis 2015 !!!!  

Doubt whether a permanent disablement can be effected as the emissions tests will have been undertaken with the stop/start system in place. Permanent disablement of the stop/start system will detrimentally change the emissions.

Here I am wishing I had stop/start, which aids fuel economy and engine wear and tear, and somebody wants to disable it completely. When I am in traffic and at traffic lights, I switch off the engine. It should not affect the driving experience. Notice I did not mention emissions, being that is the main function of stop/start. 

I have noticed that some cars stop/start operates as soon as the cars stops. I have been at locations and all the car engines have switched off, then as the traffic starts moving, all the engines start up again. 

I would guess that to meet the emissions, manufacturers can only temporarily disable the stop/start function, or the car will given a higher emissions rating - as Mike said above. This is especially important for diesels, which are regaining their 'dirty' reputation with NOX and particulates emissions.   

Now if the stop/start could have adjustable sensitivity, that could help.  

I can see how it does save  fuel in the long term !

But from my own reason I want it disabled is because I drive it as a taxi 

during the course of a day shift I would turn 

engine on off numerous times

lets say minimum of 20times over 10hours 

with stop start that could multiply by 5 maybe more depending on traffic 

there is of course the temporary disable button 

but Iam sure I will forget to press that many a time !!

Stop/start has certain operational parameters within which it operates. These include whether the Battery has sufficient charge, whether there is not a heavy electrical load on the car's system (eg air con, radio, etc being on), whether the ambient external temperature is above approx 4 degrees centigrade, etc.  If any of these are not met, the system will not operate every time one stops.

For example, in winter, the system operates less often due to the low temperatures.

As it reduces emissions, I doubt whether Toyota would have made the system one of the functions that may be disabled. 

Perhaps this should have been explored before choosing it as a taxi.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Stop/start has certain operational parameters within which it operates. These include whether the battery has sufficient charge, whether there is not a heavy electrical load on the car's system (eg air con, radio, etc being on), whether the ambient external temperature is above approx 4 degrees centigrade, etc.  If any of these are not met, the system will not operate every time one stops.

For example, in winter, the system operates less often due to the low temperatures.

As it reduces emissions, I doubt whether Toyota would have made the system one of the functions that may be disabled. 

Perhaps this should have been explored before choosing it as a taxi.

as long as it has override button i can live with it ......

I'm with the OP on this one, I've driven a couple of vehicles with the Stop/Start system and it drives me nuts, catches you out when you want to reverse and at other times. It must be a nightmare if it's combined with an automatic EPB and on a car with automatic lights and wipers..All "improvements" and solutions to problems that don't exist, just waiting to go wrong and cost you lots of money.

The law makes exemption for certain drivers re wearing safety belts. Why can't Toyota do something for taxi drivers? eg let them have their keys programmed to inhibit the Stop/Start system.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TomdeGuerre said:

I'm with the OP on this one, I've driven a couple of vehicles with the Stop/Start system and it drives me nuts, catches you out when you want to reverse and at other times. It must be a nightmare if it's combined with an automatic EPB and on a car with automatic lights and wipers..All "improvements" and solutions to problems that don't exist, just waiting to go wrong and cost you lots of money.

The law makes exemption for certain drivers re wearing safety belts. Why can't Toyota do something for taxi drivers? eg let them have their keys programmed to inhibit the Stop/Start system.

Tom, you are the ultimate old school car owner. I would imaging your car will be a decent naturally aspirated engine, say a BMW 3 or 5 series straight six, or even a Ford Capri 2.8 injection or the older 3 litre. Car you could enjoy driving without all these new fangled auto everything. 

I can list your your current dislikes which you mentioned above plus small capacity turbo engine replacing larger atmos engines, like the 1.2 in the Auris. Yes you do state reliability with the turbos, later in life. 

If the stop/start fails, it will be no issue, unless that part becomes part of the MOT. 

What about the self drive function in car like the Tesla? Even I think that is a step too far.  

I've had stop/start for 6 years 9 months on my Auris. Found it to be a boon in heavy stop-start traffic where, when the engine stops, it feels a lot more calming

2 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Tom, you are the ultimate old school car owner. I would imaging your car will be a decent naturally aspirated engine, say a BMW 3 or 5 series straight six, or even a Ford Capri 2.8 injection or the older 3 litre. Car you could enjoy driving without all these new fangled auto everything. 

I can list your your current dislikes which you mentioned above plus small capacity turbo engine replacing larger atmos engines, like the 1.2 in the Auris. Yes you do state reliability with the turbos, later in life. 

If the stop/start fails, it will be no issue, unless that part becomes part of the MOT. 

What about the self drive function in car like the Tesla? Even I think that is a step too far.  

Thanks Konrad but I’ve never regarded myself as the ultimate anything except maybe the ultimate old !Removed!. I like to hanker back to the old cars – I did have a 3 litre Capri for a little while with the flames stickers down the side – but the engine blew up. Driving one of the older cars with recirculating ball steering, cart horse rear springs and cross ply tyres would probably end me up in big trouble these days. I have to admit power steering, power brakes, front wheel drive and 4 wheel independent suspension all transform performance and safety. But I seriously think some of the things they’re fitting these days are just too much. Anyone who drives modern cars with traction control, VSC and ABS etc etc never get to understand the basics of driving without all these aids and, let’s face it, they can all go wrong. 

If I had my way every young driver would get to drive a tractor on a farm for a day, learning what high centre of gravity means, judging widths and reversing with a trailer. Same way I think no politician should be allowed to become a government minister until he or she has successfully managed to run a supermarket for a year.

Driverless cars? Yes, they'll come in time but only for the aforementioned government ministers etc not for the average pleb. I'm old enough to remember them predicting flying cars and 500 mph trains in the 21st century but look around you - it hasn't happened yet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I've had stop/start for 6 years 9 months on my Auris. Found it to be a boon in heavy stop-start traffic where, when the engine stops, it feels a lot more calming

What about those of us who like listening to heavy metal?

With the engine stopped, one can listen to whatever one wants - just without the distraction of the engine.

There are times when dipping the clutch to restart the engine can be worthwhile, especially if you're getting earache from the other half .....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TomdeGuerre said:

If I had my way every young driver would get to drive a tractor on a farm for a day, learning what high centre of gravity means, judging widths and reversing with a trailer.

Imo the best thing that I ever did for my driving after passing my car test was to get my LGV (at  that time HGV) licence. Taught you so much more about anticipation & other road users.

Same way I think no politician should be allowed to become a government minister until he or she has successfully managed to run a supermarket for a year.

Can I add to that that anybody who actually wants to be a politician as a career should be unable to stand? Too many career politicians without experience of how the general populace live.

53 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

If I had my way every young driver would get to drive a tractor on a farm for a day, learning what high centre of gravity means, judging widths and reversing with a trailer.

Imo the best thing that I ever did for my driving after passing my car test was to get my LGV (at  that time HGV) licence. Taught you so much more about anticipation & other road users.

>>> Yes, an old 8 wheeler Atkinson with an orange box for a seat, vacuum brakes and single wiper blade with a load of 20 odd tons of steel rods teaches you about anticipation for braking and taking the right line for a corner….. so does driving a milk tanker.

Same way I think no politician should be allowed to become a government minister until he or she has successfully managed to run a supermarket for a year.

Can I add to that that anybody who actually wants to be a politician as a career should be unable to stand? Too many career politicians without experience of how the general populace live.

>>> Politicians are like baby’s nappies, they both need changed at regular intervals and both for the same reason.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links