Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2015 Aygo - Clutch - High biting point?

MCR_Aygo

So I've had my Aygo since April, and it was only after driving someone elses car for a week, that I realized how high the clutch biting point is.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just my Aygo in particular? It's an Aygo x-play '15 plate with 13,000 miles. It just makes me worry that the clutch is on its way out.

I do plan to keep this car (It's on PCP) for the full term (2 and a half more years) and don't fancy having to replace a clutch in this time. 

Is there a simple way to check if there is a problem with the clutch?

Am I just being paranoid?

1 hour ago, MCR_Aygo said:

So I've had my Aygo since April, and it was only after driving someone elses car for a week, that I realized how high the clutch biting point is.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just my Aygo in particular? It's an Aygo x-play '15 plate with 13,000 miles. It just makes me worry that the clutch is on its way out.

I do plan to keep this car (It's on PCP) for the full term (2 and a half more years) and don't fancy having to replace a clutch in this time. 

Is there a simple way to check if there is a problem with the clutch?

Am I just being paranoid?

You didn't mention whether the other car you drove was also an Aygo.

TBH, the biting point on my Aygo has the highest biting point of any car I've driven, but I soon got used to it. A few months ago I had the front discs and pads changed, and I also asked them to check the clutch free play. If in doubt, take it into a Toyota dealer and get them to check the free play against the factory specs.

use this link for info on checking the clutch pedal travel

18 hours ago, fordulike said:

You didn't mention whether the other car you drove was also an Aygo.

TBH, the biting point on my Aygo has the highest biting point of any car I've driven, but I soon got used to it. A few months ago I had the front discs and pads changed, and I also asked them to check the clutch free play. If in doubt, take it into a Toyota dealer and get them to check the free play against the factory specs.

It wasn't an Aygo that I had for a week, however I have driven an older model Aygo in the past too and it didn't seem as high. 

I suppose there's no harm in asking them, just wouldn't want to waste anyone's time. 

10 hours ago, eygo said:

use this link for info on checking the clutch pedal travel

Thanks, I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out.

Is yours with the revised clutch?

IIRC some Aygos had a too-small clutch which wore out too quickly.

Last time I drove one it was a courtesy car and the bite point was so high it reminded me of the BSM car I learned in :laugh: Wasn't sure if that was natural or whether previous drivers had just thrashed the poor thing!

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Is yours with the revised clutch?

IIRC some Aygos had a too-small clutch which wore out too quickly.

The OP has a second generation Aygo (2015), whereas the revised clutch (bigger clutch, same as Yaris) was for the first generation.

2 hours ago, MCR_Aygo said:

I suppose there's no harm in asking them, just wouldn't want to waste anyone's time. 

Believe you me, you won't be wasting the dealer's time. When yer paying pretty high yearly servicing costs, then one would expect the dealer to bend over backwards to keep customer's sweet.

I don't drive manual cars but one of my managers took out a brand new Auris last week as a pool car and she commented on the high biting point.

I think the high biting clutch is a feature. Everyone who drives my Aygo stalls it almost immediately. If I've been driving my partners car I also get caught out sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it.

Took a brand new one out today, agree it's VERY high, apparently "normal"..

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the re-assurance guys. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. 

I need to pop into the dealer soon anyway so I'll double check when I'm there.

Collected a new X-play yesterday, and the biting point is high

Have the new range of Aygos got the same uprated clutch that Toyota had to start fitting to the previous one?

Also, have the new uprated clutches proved a success, or are they still a weak link in the Aygo's chain?

As far as I'm aware, the clutch issues ended with the introduction of the larger clutch (same size as the Yaris 1.0 litre) from January 2009.

17 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware, the clutch issues ended with the introduction of the larger clutch (same size as the Yaris 1.0 litre) from January 2009.

That's reassuring to know, thanks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links