Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malfunction indicator light flashing

disherdave

Hello,

I would some help with a problem I have with my 2002 Yaris 1.3 cdx manual,petrol.(made in France).120000 miles and been regularly serviced.

I had a service a few weeks ago but since that time I have had issues with the MIL flashing and misfiring but no fault codes appearing on my mechanics scanner and he isn't using a cheap one. It's been back a few times to my mechanic and a few days ago he replaced the coils. Everything seemed to be ok but yesterday I drove it for a short while parked it for 10 minutes then went to restart and the engine misfired and MIL flashing light appeared again.I drove it straight to my mechanic who said it was running on 3 cylinders and he hooked it up to his scanner to look for the fault code and again nothing showed up.He worked on it again for a few hours and said he swapped some things around and tried to diagnose what it could be but can't figure out what it could be.He returned car to me and seems to be alright at present but I have a feeling the issue will return very soon, as when i parked the car at home last night and switched it off the car shuddered more than usual.

This seems to be how this problem appears cold start fine ,drive for a while fine, park for 10-20 minutes and restart misfires and MIL flashing and no fault codes appear on scanner.

I really hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction,any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

When he replaced the coils did he replace the wiring to the coils.? Has he removed and checked the plugs?Checked the compressions in each cylinders? 

(I ask because with a fault like that, you check the basics first . If he has not, change your mechanic)

Sounds like a failing sensor to me... OK when cold, fails when hot.. It could be one of the exhaust sensors on its way out. Or a burned out exhaust valve , or valve clearances too small. Or a wiring fault. 

Your mechanic is fault finding by changing things: this is very expensive and the wrong approach. Change him and get a competent analytical mechanic.

Madasafish thanks for taking the time to reply.Yes my mechanic has used two sets of spark plugs and checked but not replaced wiring..Checked compression ,injectors and swapped things around.I am no mechanic whatsoever but i feel it maybe a sensor issue.Tempted to try cataclean to see if that would help.Cant understand why no fault codes appear on his very expensive scanner.