Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drive shaft snapped..

Leepov

Hi, just had the nearside driveshaft snap. OK got a replacement from euro car parts £81 fitted myself  no issues happy days, but no went for a family day out 80 there on way home car developed a noise just like wheel bearing was going! Had to strip it to find out the length of the splines  that go into the hub were too short, so the back of inner bearing was not sitting against the cv joint.  So have to remove the complete shaft to return for a refund. But having a real struggle to remove from gear box without damaging it any advice? Thanks

I can assume you have tried using a suitable pry bar or similar, that has plenty of leverage. You might need a drift and mallet, but you don't really want to damage anything. Use as last resort!

I have looked at the Q-Drive part you bought from Euro Car Parts. I am sure somebody had a similar post where the splines were not tight, like they were already worn. 

If you had pictures of your old snapped driveshaft (probably thrown away), picture of the the splines and a picture showing where you are trying to free the driveshaft from. 

If the shaft is the correct length, I would take the original CV joint and replace the one with the bad spline. Better still get a second hand driveshaft, hopefully from a slightly younger car. Original parts always fit better. I didn't mention going to Toyota due to the possible high price. 

A slide hammer screwed onto the hub end of the drive shaft will do it. Fabricating an adaptor might present a challenge.

Came aacross this:-

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links