Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Issue filling up - nozzle clicks when I've got a full tank of fuel to fill up

priusnoob

Hi,

This has happened to me a few times now. I go to fill up my car at the petrol station. I hold the nozzle on the petrol nozzle thingy, and almost immediately it clicks, as if to say my tank is full (It definitely is not) Now, I try to edge it slowly, and then I get to that click very quickly. The only way I can "get around" this, is to fill up painfully slowly (Literally, as it hurts my hands) ie: I'm filling up maybe another £20 or £30, thinking "That should be about right" not knowing exactly, because well it clicks far too soon, but I fill it up ever so slowly, so that click doesn't happen

This happens at various petrol stations, at different pumps in those stations too. Could there be something wrong with my tank, or any sensors?

I might be clutching at straws here, but my previous car had a little spring hinged flap a little way down the filler tube. Now I guess this was to stop anything dropping into the fuel tank when the cap was off. If I didn't push the pump nozzle far enough into the filler tube, the flap wouldn't open and I would get the same symptom as yourself. Too much back pressure would cause the nozzle/trigger to click and the fuel would stop flowing.

Make sure the nozzle is all the way in when press the trigger.

Try lifting the nozzle out half an inch or so (from fully inserted). It works every time with my Gen 4. I can't remember if it worked with the Gen 2 or 3, both of which suffered from this, but only at some pumps.

I think that some nozzles create a seal with the car filler, which AFAIK causes the tank to pressurise and so the pump to think it is full.

• Like 2

Gen 3 prius does this too.  If I put the hose all the way in, quite often it trips right away.   I have to withdraw the nozzle a bit.

• Like 2

I find, not fully in and around the 4 o'clock position with the nozzle works best.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2016 at 0:17 AM, fordulike said:

I might be clutching at straws here, but my previous car had a little spring hinged flap a little way down the filler tube. Now I guess this was to stop anything dropping into the fuel tank when the cap was off. If I didn't push the pump nozzle far enough into the filler tube, the flap wouldn't open and I would get the same symptom as yourself. Too much back pressure would cause the nozzle/trigger to click and the fuel would stop flowing.

Make sure the nozzle is all the way in when press the trigger.

The nozzle was fully in :)

On 29/07/2016 at 0:33 AM, Ancient Nerd said:

Try lifting the nozzle out half an inch or so (from fully inserted). It works every time with my Gen 4. I can't remember if it worked with the Gen 2 or 3, both of which suffered from this, but only at some pumps.

I think that some nozzles create a seal with the car filler, which AFAIK causes the tank to pressurise and so the pump to think it is full.

Ahhhh thanks for that. I'm glad that it's not JUST my car :D I'll try what you and Keith said when I next fill up :) Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say I filled half a tank at Texaco today, and I put it the nozzle in (not at 4 o clock) but rather just not putting it in all the way (giggity :D ) Any how, it filled up nice and fast which was really nice for my hand. I tested the whole "nozzle makes a seal on the engine" thing, and yeah as soon as I put it in all the way, it made a clicking noise

• 4 weeks later...

You'll need to experiment, but on previous (non-Toyota) cars it ranged from easy to very hard to fill up (my last car was a nightmare due to anti-siphon filler neck).

My Yaris is "quite easy" - it is OK to the first click (insert nozzle, check it is square, slowly squeeze to get it flowing, then gently increase to full flow). After the first click it is best to take the nozzle out and aim it carefully down the filler neck (but without causing it to foam), otherwise it triggers all the time and makes filling the last two gallons take longer than the previous five did.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links