Do Not Sell My Personal Information

discs elongated holes

willcook1275gt

discs on my dads Avensis cant been right ? hes getting a knock from this wheel its got to b this ??

thanks

IMG_3185.JPG

There's nothing wrong there. The 'slackness' you see is lost when the wheel is bolted on. The disc is locked in place sandwiched between the hub and road wheel.

The 'knock' will relate to something else. Describe the symptoms and someone will be able to offer advice. 

• Like 1

This is absolutely normal

I suggest you leave the wheel off, and hand screw a couple of the wheel nuts directly to the disc. Then try moving it !. The wheel nuts have an angle at their base that both centralizes and grips the disc. Any knocking is something else..............

• Like 1

Where are the two set screws that hold/align the disc in place, have you taken them out or are they missing? 

17 hours ago, saxo265 said:

Where are the two set screws that hold/align the disc in place, have you taken them out or are they missing? 

There are no fixing holes in the hubs to hold the discs on any Avensis!

On the Avensis (I owned a Mk1 previously), the discs are only held by the wheel nuts which provide the clamping force. The two smaller screw holes on the discs, are to help remove the disc if it is stuck on. I have used this on a Corolla many years ago, when the discs were stuck on. The bolts are the same as those used on many cars to hold the brake caliper, and I have plenty of those. Just screw the bolts in and as they push against the surface of the hub, force the disc off.

Normally when the wheel comes off, the discs are held in place loosely by the brake calipers/pads.   

• Like 2

Ok, stand corrected,not had mine off yet! :-) guess all is well then like it is.

• 3 weeks later...

What model is the car and year? And yes it is normal...

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

Hi, 2009 2.2 T180 D-CAT manual. Will be putting on winter wheels in a few weeks so will have a look re disc holes. Like the comments about re-mapping, interesting read as I have been thinking of a 'box'.