Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla verso 2.2 tapping engine on idle

Danny1984

Hi again all,

another query as I'm new to having a Toyota and just want to make sure all is ok.

i have noticed when stopping at say a red light or the end of a road, the engine has a rather loud tapping sound to it ticking over in neutral??

is this the normal sound of a Toyota diesel??

if you imagine a constant tap tap tap tap tap tap tap.... The sound stays until revved over 1500rpm then the sound goes....

any advice or opinions would be great,

thanks

dan

Hi again,

i have been trying to see where this tapping is coming from and it seems it's coming from the top of the engine towards the right hand side as you look under the bonnet. In front of where the turbo sits....

the noise goes once revved but as the engine comes back to idle the tapping starts again.

is this normal for a d4d engine or is this likely an injector problem??

or any other problem??

what is at the top of the engine that could cause this??

dan

Can anyone Atleast tell me if injectors can cause this tapping/rattle while car is in neutral and not moving??

or is the 2.2 d4d known for being a bit noisy with diesel knock??

• 1 month later...

Ok.... So since my first post regarding this rattle/tapping I was convinced it was injector rattle.

tried different injector cleaners, adding 2 stroke oil to diesel and also gave car a full service changing oil, (with Toyota oil from local Toyota dealer), oil filter, fuel filter and air filter, still no change, not 1 bit. 

Iv found myself never having radio on and constantly while driving just listening to this sound... It's doing my head in.

iv noticed now it's not too bad when engine is cold but gets worse once warmed up.

popped into a garage today and the guy came and listened to the sound, he revved engine lightly and listened to when it sounded at its worst. He then told me he would need a couple of hours to look into it more but from what he heard it did not sound like a combustion problem and said less likely to be injectors but camshaft speed related!

can anyone shed some light on wether this is a viable reason for this noise I'm getting or is it likely this guy is way off the mark???

any thoughts would be appreciated as I'm seriously considering getting rid of the car at this stage

dan

Today had the car put on a computer at my local Bosch service centre and found my injector 4 is faulty!

now been looking around at injectors and getting different prices and item numbers from place to place.

to make things worse iv gave my reg to Toyota and its come back as a D-cat model, but my log book states 136bhp model...

am I supposed to go by log book or Toyota computer when looking at injectors???

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links