Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

AF sensor location confusion

bonjo

apologies if this is a repeated topic. I searched the forum but could not find a clear clarification.

The garage that checked the fault on my engine gave me a fault code P1135 describing it as bank 1 sensor 1 heater circuit.

So I searched for the denso replacement part and ended up confused over lelt/ right and sensor 1/2!

denso catalog refers to L or R (assume it's left & rught). The supplier refers to upper left or right.

Are these location references from sitting inside the car (in which case the part numbers agree with toyota sensor location diagram) or standing in front of the bumper and looking into the engine bay (in which case the denso reference and toyota sensor location are at odds!)

I would appreciate if someone could confirm this before I re-mortgage the house and buy this expensive parts

Simply looking from the front of the car 

Top left = bank 2 sensor 1  

Top right = bank 1 sensor 1

Bottom left = bank2 sensor 2

Bottom right = bank 1 sensor 2

HTH

Del

Yes this is also what I think looking at the toyota sensor location diagram.

Denso specifies left & right and my question is that is their location reference when sitting in the driver's seat (otherwise the part numbers are reversed!)

or in other words do they use different point of view? 

I've always understood Left and Right to be the as viewed from the drivers seat. It would be a whole lot easier if they used Nearside and Offside terms but then you'd need to say whether LHD or RHD.

Just as a matter of curiosity is No 1 cylinder on your engine at the timing end or the flywheel end?

Tom I suspect what you mention is the point of reference. Just hoping someone would confirm this 100%

No 1 cylinder is the RHS one viewed from inside the cabin (for the 4 cyl version

Update for anyone interested

after much painful detective work I established denso Lef and right references is based on looking from inside the engine (this is the opposite way round looking in from the front of the car).

I managed to read the toyota part number and checked it against denso X reference.

I know a thread in this forum where some members bought the sensor for the wrong side.

Mr T quoted me £240 but would not give me the part number (Mafia policy!)

my prices £80:smile:

I have always worked on the principal of standing at the front of the car looking at the engine compartment and reading the position of components as my left to right as that is the way I can see it, but as mentioned this is to'ther way round if working on anything inside and outside the cab as  the motor is rhd and most of the dashboard is on the left of it.

Just for the fun of it could I suggest that N/S  and O/S would not mean a lot to a non driver :rolleyes:

There's still room for confusion

Denso Sensor Left and Right.png

Taken from Toyota's official Repair manual ( only applies to Pre facelift Rav4 2.0 vvti ) note they avoid using left/right only referring to bank/sensor.

Pre Facelift Rav4 TWC setup.png

yes devon, this is indeed the reference diagram so basically what is shown as B1S1 in denso's described as Left sensor (and B2S1 as right sensor).

tomde, I read that thread and also another one where the poor soul got the reverse info and bought the wrong side sensor!

to give credit to denso they provide a very good cross reference document for their sensors

• 2 months later...

A follow up for those interested.

Once the L/R mix up cleared, I ordered the correct sensore @ £80 and had it replaced. So far so good.

fingers X

Ps I must say the idle is much more stable. best it has ever been since the car was purchased new!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links