Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 d4d regen every 100 miles

mpg_junkie

Hi all,

Had this problem before and the dealer did a forced Regen and clean which made the problem go away for 10000 miles (up to 700-800 miles). It is currently struggling to do more tha 90 miles without doing a 15 minute Regen. I do mostly A_road and motorway travelling and use good diesel from different places (bp, maxol, etc). 

I also noticed the service light came on for a short time today and when o checked the engine oil level it is over the maximum mark. 

My question is whether this sounds OK or does it sound like a fault? If the dealer does a clean and Regen again and it lasts 10000 mile that will be long enough to take me out of warranty so the next "fix" will be at my own expense. Any advice??

Thankfully not 

"We are pleased to confirm that your Toyota is not affected by any voluntary customer service campaigns or outstanding safety recalls and no further action is required"

Keep a close eye on that oil level. It could be that fuel being pumped into the engine to regenerate the DPF is not being burned and is getting into the sump. If this level rises too high it can cause a diesel engine to run uncontrollably on its sump oil and eventually self destruct.

• 1 month later...

The dealership eventually did an ECU upgrade which seems to be making the car do a forced Regen at exactly 400 miles. Whether this is a short term fix to get me outside of warranty so they can wash their hands of it or whether it is a true fix (although the car used to do regens every 700-1000 before it went haywire which was better for mpg). 

They did make the comment that if the dpf needs work I will have to pay for it as this is a serviceable part like brake pads or air filters which sounds a bit disappointing.