Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Steering Help, 98 Corolla.

Pencapchew

So picked up a 1998 corolla for my partner and did a basic service on it a few days ago, oil and filter, plugs, fuel filter etc. I also changed the alternator and power steering belts as the old ones were perished. Ever since I fitted the new PS belt the power steering is a lot heavier than before...it was nice and light before I went near it so herself isn't overly impressed!! Any ideas? I've re-fitted the belt to double check my work and also the PS fluid is at the max level. It's the 1.3 4EFE model. Cheers.

Strange one; do not know the belt layout for that model, but it does sound as if you might have got them on wrong or the wrong type of belt ?

Do you have the original Toyota handbook showing the layout ?

What is the belt tension like, as a rough guide, typically at the longest length, you should be able to hold the belt and twist it 90 degrees / or depress it about 10 to15mm with your thumb.

If all ok, you could, though do not know why it should have been affected,  do a bleed of the power steering.

Get the engine ticking over, slowly turn the steering to full lock, hold for 5 seconds, then slowly  go to the opposite full lock and hold for 5 seconds.

Repeat this three or four times - from Haynes service manual

Thanks for the quick reply. It's the E11 1.3 engine so the PS pump is at the front of the engine and the alternator is at the back. Two separate belts. I have the Haynes manual and have used the correct belts, got them from local motor factors and compared them with the old belts too. 

I will try a PS bleed and see how that goes but as you say it shouldn't really be affected as I didn't disconnect any of the lines in or out. 

I might put in some fresh fluid too, can't do any harm. It's a frustrating one because it was working perfectly beforehand!! I've checked the tyre pressure too and all good there. Any other suggestions?

I've the same year/model Corolla and I wouldn't say the power steering is exactly nice and light. On mine it's fairly heavy (compared to newer cars I've driven), so I wonder if it was light because of the belt failing/being slack?

Not a bad call Mick...I had thought something similar myself. I drive a 97 Rav 4 and the steering is pretty light so has me convinced there's something up with the corolla. I'm gonna try a fluid change and see how it goes and will update to let ye know. 

On a side note, I'm a late 90s Toyota fan and having had a wide variety of cars over the years (legacy GT, A6, mondeo)  I still come back to the 90s Toyotas..reliable and easy to work on for a relative novice diyer like myself. With my type of work and living in the North of Scotland the Rav is a ideal and my partners corolla suits her down to the ground. 

Thanks for all the feedback and I look forward to learning more from this forum and asking even more questions! 

I'm in the middle of changing all the belts on mine - having to stop because I've blown my knee up - so when I get the new belts on my Corolla I can confirm whether I've found my steering has changed or not with the new belts. I'm not changing the steering fluid at the moment, but if you do together we'll find out what the steering should be like or not.

Cheers Mick, great idea. I won't be changing mine until next Monday or Tuesday but will let you know how I get on. I'm probably gonna remove the PS reservoir and give it a good clean out  

So I'm going to pick up some power steering fluid tomorrow from ECP, any recommendations on what fluid to get? Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...

I've only just got my Corolla back on the road, and I have to say that the power steering does feel very heavy now. I wouldn't say it was light to begin with, but there's definately more weight on the wheel now.

Did you ever change the power steering fluid? What difference did it make?

On 8/13/2016 at 10:03 PM, Pencapchew said:

So I'm going to pick up some power steering fluid tomorrow from ECP, any recommendations on what fluid to get? Thanks 

The recommended fluid is ATF meeting Dexron II or III.

I believe I used this one... linky

The new stuff going in will be a lovely cherryade red colour. The old stuff, assuming it is original, will be engine oil colour of varying darkness.

Do you know how to thoroughly flush out the old stuff?

• 2 months later...

Apologies for the late reply esp mick, busy times with work. 

I've got the dexron iii and cleaned out the reservoir and put in new fluid. The power steering is definitely better but not exactly the same as before...its nearly 20 yrs old so good enough. Had its MOT 2 weeks ago and sailed through just needed the handbrake adjusted, the tester commented on how clean it was too.